Monday, May 16, 2011

Hot Greens and a Little Visitor

My last  Outdoor Wednesday post, featured "cool greens" in the garden. This time it's "hot greens" and I'm not talking about turnip greens or collards.  :)

Y'all probably think I'm crazy, but this is how I think of the green colors in my yard. The gray greens or blue greens are cool  and the yellow greens are hot.   


I'm sure you'll will recognize this...variegated lirope or monkey grass. In full sun mine is a bright yellow green color.

Here I have it with Ice Plant which isn't my favorite but a really good "do-er" in hot areas. This is by the brick walkway and I have to pull some of it out every summer because it spreads onto the walkway...quickly.


One of my favorite hostas is "Dawn's Early Light". This photo was earlier in the Spring.


The leaves are losing some of the yellow because it's in more shade now that the trees have leafed out.


Arborvitae with little cones.



 Gold Mop Threadleaf False Cypress  


Acuba

Creeping Jenny

After I finished taking photos of the hot greens,  I went on the deck  to see if any of the pots on the baker's rack needed watering.


You can see I really haven't done much with it, just a hodgepodge of pots which I haven't decided where to put.


Can you see it? It's in the little pot in the back.


There it is... a little tree frog snuggled under that fuzzy succulent leaf.


Isn't it cute? This is only the second one I've ever seen.

The next day I didn't see him and I decided to take that silly faux fern out of the blue and white jar and to my surprise he was in the jar.
So I left the faux fern there so he could climb out.

I don't usually put faux plants outside but I was just playing and seeing what a ferny plant might look there.  It's too sunny there for a real one, but maybe I can find something similar which will take a lot of sun.

Gotta get out there and work on the baker's rack and deck. Getting that to look presentable is always a challenge for me.
If any of you have any suggestions as how you'd decorate the baker's rack or deck, I'd love to hear or see them.

I'm so glad y'all stopped by. Don't forget to go over to
A Southern Daydreamer  for Outdoor Wednesday and see all the great posts there.
                                                    Babs            
Outdoor Wednesday logo

15 comments:

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Your yard is gorgeous, Babs! I only wish everyone could see it in person! :-) Your froggie is cute! I keep hoping that mine from last year will come back! Did he move over to your house? Happy week!...hugs...Debbie

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Hi Babs...all your plants are just incredible. What you call a hodgepodge on that baker's rack looks pretty good to me! I have a huge deck...no idea why we made it so big. Anyway, I have a table and chairs on one end. The other end has a chaise and my grill. I have black planters with herbs and some annuals. That's it. It seems to function well unless there are more than about 8 people. 8 is about my limit! Have a great week...~Ann

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Babs, I am impressed that you can name each plant. Love your cute little friend. He looks quite comfy there.

Sarah said...

Babs, it's fun to see more of your garden. Cute little critter! ~ Sarah

Michelle said...

Beautiful garden,cute frog :D

Jim said...

Great garden shots.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Your plants are gorgeous. So healthy and happy in your garden. hugs ~lynne~

Honey at 2805 said...

Ypur greens are just great and the frog is so fun. I have just become a friend and follower and hope you will consider the same.

Linda said...

All the greens are gorgeous...and I love the little frog...what a happy surprise :0)

Tina´s PicStory said...

This greens are really hot! I don´t know how many greens there are, but I feel it must be 100 or more. X Tina

Tina´s PicStory said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tina´s PicStory said...

This greens are really hot! There must be 1000s of different greens in the world. LG Tina

Light and Voices said...

I confess...I don't know much about shady plants but am learning. These green plants are double good HOT. See you next week.
Joyce M

On Crooked Creek said...

Babs,
Stunning!!!
I adore your baker's rack display!!!
Fondly,
Pat

LindyLouMac said...

Hi there, I am calling by today as I am busy catching up with all the blogs I missed reading while I was away, especially other Outdoor Wednesday participants. It seems like I have found another interesting blog, someone who loves their plants and garden as much as I do. I am going to follow you. :)