Thursday, July 19, 2012

Casual or Fancy Southern Style Party Sandwiches

Pimento Cheese...it's a Southern thing!


I wish I had a dollar for every one of these pimento cheese party sandwiches I've made in my life. As soon as I was old enough to use a sharp knife, my mom put me to work cutting crusts from bread to make sandwiches for her parties. 
The sandwiches are easy to make, and although a bit time consuming, can be a fun family project...if your kids are old enough to help...with  a little supervision, of course. :)
Here's how they're made...


 I use 1 loaf of white bread and 1 of wheat...or two of each if it's a big party...sandwich bread is best, since it's thinner and more square, but the "old fashioned" kind will do.
Cut the crusts off so you have a square...or slight rectangle.


Once the crusts are cut off, stack three slices, alternating white and wheat...some with two wheat and one white in the middle, and some the other way. (Save the crusts to use later, for bread crumbs, croutons or bread pudding.)
Cut each stack into 3 finger sandwiches and slather on the pimento cheese...not too thick, but not to thinly either. 
Now, I'm not giving you a recipe for pimento cheese, because everybody has their own family favorite, so just use the one you like best.


Here are both a casual, and fancy way, I like to serve them for a party...
...here's the casual look again...


...just put the sandwiches directly on a plate and garnish with something green. I have mint in the garden, right now, so that's what I used, and I added carrot knots for a little more color. They're made from long thin ribbons of carrot, cut lengthwise with a peeler. They're quick, colorful, and easy to make.


Now...if you're having a bridal shower or tea party, you can gussy things up a bit.


Line a silver tray with lettuce, arrange the sandwiches, alternating the wheat and white. Then decorate with a tomato rose, or two, and add whatever green leaves you have. 



Since the strawberry leaves in the garden looked good, I used three of them under the "roses".


The sandwiches can be made a day ahead. If you do, cover them with a damp tea towel, or paper towel, that's been wet and completely wrung out.
Store them in a plastic sealed container, or on a plate covered with plastic wrap.


Then, just before the party, transfer them to your serving plate, and wait for the compliments.
Hope you enjoy my mom's Southern style party sandwiches. 
Here a link to show you how to make a tomato rose...click here.
Hugs and party y'all.
Babs
Let's Party:
No Minimalist Here Open House Party Thursdays
French Country Cottage Feathered Nest Friday
2805 Potpourri Friday
At the Picket Fence Inspiration Friday
Common Ground Vintage Inspiration Friday
The Charm of Home Home Sweet Home
Bliss Ranch Hot Fun in the Summertime
















32 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

I am not a Southerner, so it makes sense that I have never had pimento cheese! What have I been missing??? These are gorgeous and look very tasty! I'm having a cocktail party in 2 weeks and would love to make these. I love your garnishes, too, Babs!

XO,
Jane

Ron said...

I am a Southernere as you know, and I heart any pimento cheese sandwich. Yours are so well done and displayed to perfection. xo, Ron

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Too pretty to eat and great pictures, girl.

Lynn said...

They look great, pretty presentation! This Yankee still hasn't had one of those sandwiches-gotta correct that soon, I know I'd love them:@)

Olive said...

Babs, super shots and I make Joe homemade pimento cheese about twice a month. Once you make it homemade there is no going back. xoxo, olive

Aledia said...

Mmm, LOVE pimento cheese! Those look wonderful and your pictures are fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing and I hope you have a wonderful night!

(hugs)
Aledia @ Plum Perfect

On Crooked Creek said...

Babs,
okay...you had me at pimento cheese! Then the carrot knots were just the cutest thing, dear friend! But, oh my gosh ...those sandwiches on the silver tray with the rose tomatoes...heavenly!!! Thanks for reminding us the simple things are THE BEST things!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Unknown said...

I've made a few of these in the past, but they were never as pretty as yours! Love the rosettes! Beautiful.

Honey at 2805 said...

This may be too pretty to eat! Great pictures. Thank you for sharing your creativity at Potpourri Friday!

Liz @ Quirky Vistas said...

How festive and fun! I must be living under a rock, because I don't think I've never seen a tomato rose, I don't think. I have to go see how you do it now. Love your pretty presentation! Lucky guests you have!
Liz

Eclectically Vintage said...

Babs,
These pics have my mouth watering (not good at 10pm!) and you have such food styling skills! I think I hear Bon Appetite calling you!
Kelly

Sarah said...

Babs, I'm wishing for a pimento cheese sandwich right now! These look so pretty. I'm going to remember to use the two kinds of bread stacked. Your presentation is lovely!

Suzan said...

Love those little red roses!!
Also love pimento cheese - but serve half on celery and half with bread. So many are not eating starches & breads. Especially love Costco pimento cheese - always keep a tub in the refrigerator.

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

This must be a Southern thing Babs. I have never made them. Your presentation is awesome!

Anonymous said...

I never thought it to be a southern thing...I thought everyone loved pimento cheese ;)... by the comments it appears I was incorrect...I guess it is a southern thang....I am so glad to be a southern girl and able to love love love pimento cheese sandwiches..they are divine!!

Alycia Nichols said...

I've heard of pimiento cheese, but I don't think I've ever eaten it. You have piqued my curiosity about it now! You make the sandwiches look so fabulous!!!! I'm impressed up one side and down the other!!! Both arrangements are absolutely beautiful. When I come to visit, this is what I would like for you to serve! :-) Have a beautiful weekend!

Lisa Mende said...

Babs,
I adore pimento cheese and would love to have your mom's recipe for that!!! If you don't mind sharing! This is beautiful. Love the roses!!!

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Even though I'm one of those Yankee girls I love this post! Your trays and pictures are just stunning. Not too long ago at school we had a lunch and the theme was finger sandwiches. It was so fun...something most hostesses don't bother with these days. I am pinning this for sure. Happy Friday and have a great weekend!

trash talk said...

I reckon we were all raised on pimento cheese. It's one of those little secret recipes for success all Southern girls share.
Love the tomato roses as an added touch o'class.
Deb

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh my I havn't made pimento sandwiches in ages. These look so pretty. Hugs, marty

Mary said...

Babs~ Your pimento cheese sandwiches are definitely
party worthy! I love your tomato rose! I'm made them with Pepperidge Farms thin bread, one slice white, one wheat for a shower~ I'll have to remember your three slice sandwiches :)

Bliss said...

Well they sure are pretty little sammies! My mom would of loved them and she wasn't from the south.

~Bliss~

karen@somewhatquirky said...

OH how I loved pimento cheese sandwiches when I was a little girl. I haven't had one in so long! Your pictures are making my mouth water!
Thanks for joining the party this week!

Little Miss Maggie said...

These are so pretty. I love your garnishes. Thanks for sharing them at Hot Fun in the Summertime.

Lina - Fancy Frugal Life said...

Wow how gorgeous and my grandmother would serve something similar on Celery sticks :-)
I'm off to check out this rose how to!

Lina

Debbie said...

First Crepe Myrtles and now pimento cheese. You are hitting a bunch of my favorites this morning. I love the way you served yours with the little carrot knots (got to do that!) and tomato roses (got to learn that!)

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Hi Babs-
Those look wonderful! Love the carrot knots and tomato roses! I don't know anything about creating a tomato rose but the carrot knots I can do!
Thanks for the idea!

Kelly said...

Well now I know who to call whenever I'm having a party and want to make a good impression on my guests! I love how you presented these. The dressier version is VERY pretty! I love how you made a flower and used leaves. I love pimento sandwiches too.

Vickie @ Ranger 911 said...

Your food presentation is gorgeous! We grew up with pimento cheese balls and crackers served on holidays. Yum!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

This southern sandwiches look yummy! I love them and also the way you displayed them in the pretty silver platter! I love pimento dip too. Thank you for sharing dear Babs. Have a terrific week. Hope I'll run into you at Marty's cloche party this Tuesday too.
FABBY

Tricia said...

Oooh, Babs, now you have me craving pimiento cheese! I love the ways you showed us to serve the finger sandwiches. I have to REALLY love someone to make finger sandwiches for them. Thank you for your kind comments on my table -- I'm late visiting back, as I've been out of town.

The Charm of Home said...

Looks so good! Thank you for joining me at Home Sweet Home!
Sherry