Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sweet Tea Olive and Drunk Bees

In the garden.

This morning, I knew the sweet olive was blooming as soon as I stepped outside. 
It has a heavenly fragrance that can be smelled all over the yard.

It perfumes the air, with what some describe as an apricot fragrance, but for some reason, it reminds me of Tang...you know the orange drink that the astronauts took into space.

Our tree is about 20 years old, and about 20 feet tall. I don't think they're supposed to get that tall, but no one told ours that. 
Can you see the top of it, near the top of the Leyland Cypress?


I've been waiting for our magnolia tree to bloom.
I planted it as a twig from my aunt's tree, over 10 years ago, and every year, I've waited and waited, but no blooms. 
This year, it had just one bloom. Yep, just one gorgeous bloom, but I'm so excited. Yay!



Here's a full pic of the tree, and you can just see the bud on the right side, about half way up.

Another thing...not so exciting...is that all the rain has ruined our figs...

...but the bumble bees have had marathon parties all week on the fermenting figs.

They all got drunk! 
Our deck is the crash pad where they slept it off. 
 We had so much fun watching them. Occasionally, one would try to fly and fall over backwards.
This one looks like it's fallen on it face...it's back side was up in the air, and it was holding itself up with it's antennae...and one leg.

...this one looked zonked out, but sometimes, when a breeze blew, it would raise one leg in the air. Do bumble bees get "bed spins"?
As you can see, it doesn't take a lot to entertain me. :)
So much for the excitement at our house.

Hope y'all had a great weekend.
Hugs,
Babs


                                                  ~ Check out these amazing parties ~      

                                                             The Tablescaper ~ Seasonal Sunday
                                                    Dwellings ~ Amaze Me Monday
The Dedicated House ~ Make it Pretty Monday        
Rain On A Tin Roof ~ Give Me the Goods Monday
Between Naps On The Porch ~ Metamorphosis Monday
A Stroll Thru Life ~ Inspire Me Tuesday
Coastal Charm ~ Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Our Home Away From Home ~ Tuesdays at Our Home
Cuisine Kathleen ~ Let's Dish ~ Wednesday
Savvy Southern Style ~ Wow Us Wednesday
A Southern Daydreamer ~ Outdoor Wednesday
Ivy and Elephants ~ What's It Wednesday
StoneGable ~ Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits ~ Thursday
Between Naps On The Porch ~ Tablescape Thursday
The Tablescaper ~ Oh, The Places I've Been~Thursday
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson ~ Share Your Cup Thursday
Lamberts Lately ~ Create It Thursday
My Turn for Us ~ Freedom Fridays Blog Hop
Common Ground ~ Be Inspired Friday
The Charm of Home ~ Home Sweet Home Friday
The Thrifty Groove ~ Thrifty Things Friday
The Dedicated House ~ Anything Blue Friday
Summer Acres ~ The HomeAcre Hop
                                                       The Polohouse ~ Favorites on the First   

11 comments:

Sarah said...

How funny to see a drunk bee. You got some great shots, Babs.

Jojo said...

That is hilarious! If only the birds were munching on china berries. You would have a drunken birds & bees party!!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Looks like lots of lovely activity in your yard! Funny about the bees...but too bad about the figs. My ginger lilies have begun to bloom...fall is not far behind! Have a great week, Babs!...hugs...Debbie

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

I had to laugh at your excitement watching the drunken bees!

Stacey said...

That's so funny! I didn't know that would happen to the bees. I grew up with a fig tree in the yard. My brother and I used to climb it and eat them. MY MIL has a beautiful one in her yard...I'll have to tell her to watch the bees. :)

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

When the bees aren't busy you know somethings up!

Sylvia said...

LOL, How cute, I've never seen drunk bees!

Kelly said...

That is just too funny about those bees! I've never seen them do that around here. I never thought about fruit fermenting to cause that either. LOL! Makes perfect sense though. Our cantaloupes haven't done too well this year because of the rain also. They're not supposed to get too much water. We've harvested a few, but they haven't been very sweet. Our entire garden has done poorly this year compared to last.

Pat said...

Babs,
Great entertainment, I'd say!!!
Never saw a "drunken" bee before!
Your Olive & Magnolia are gorgeous!!!
Thanks for sharing, dear friend!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Mary said...

I've never seen drunken bees, LOL! I didn't think about figs fermenting either. It's a shame about the figs, we haven't had very many this year either.

Dana Bishop said...

This is so entertaining! And your photos are wonderful. It is never hot enough here for the figs to ripen.

Thanks for sharing this!