Thursday, June 23, 2011

Low Country Summer Decorating

I love the look of a beach house, with blues, whites and sand colors but I can never seem to get that "beachy" look  with my traditional cherry and walnut furniture.

What I do instead is go for a "Low Country" look reminiscent of Charleston or Savannah.
It has all the elements  I love... antiques, old silver, lanterns,  baskets....plants...and shells, most of which I used for my new Summer look in the entry and family room.

Take a look and see what you think.



Y'all come on in and cool off. It's so hot and muggy outside today.




Here's my little sweetgrass basket to hold my keys.



I like how the lantern looks with the faux succulents tucked around the candles.


The green glass bottle holds Maiden grass from my yard for a look of sea grass.



And I have a copy of Low Country Summer by one of my favorite Low Country authors, Dorothea Benton Frank.
It looks like I'm ready to grab my tote bag, book and keys and head to the beach...I wish. :)

Now come on downstairs and see the coffee table in the family room.



I just put out some lemonade, pecans for snacking (in a monogrammed silver bowl, of course) and the latest copy of Southern Living. 



I used my grandmother's old dough bowl to hold the hurricane, plant and floats.
The fishing floats are probably not Low Country, but they look so pretty and they are "beachy".  :)


I'm lovin' the Low Country style.
Happy Summer!

Sources:
Lantern: Kohl's -65% off , last week
Faux succulents and fishing floats: Pottery Barn, on sale, this week
Green glass bottle: Hobby Lobby, 50% off some time ago.
 Everything else I've had "forever".

If you'd like to know more about Sweetgrass baskets, check out this link.


I'm happy to join everyone for the fabulous Blog Party at



See you there.  
Babs

14 comments:

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

Hi Babs,
I enjoyed seeing your Low Country decorating. Made me feel right at home. We used to live in Mt. Pleasant,SC but we moved to my husband's hometown when I retired from teaching. I have a collection of sea grass baskets. I have been to Dottie Frank's home on Sullivan's Island. My husband worked in the media, and he got invited to several press parties whenever she released a new book. She is a real character like the ones in her books! I love your idea of using the fishing floats in the dough tray. Everything looks wonderful

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

I love that you put your hurricane in the dough bowl. I do that with a big bowl I have too. Just delightful! Everything looks so welcoming and fresh. I agree that it's hard to lighten up when all your furniture is dark...I'm in the same boat. You did a great job!

Pat said...

I so enjoy your decor Babs! You have such style. Love the sweetgrass basket, and the green glass vase.

Pat

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Babs, I love the new look. That lantern is awesome. I wonder if they still have any. Did you get it at the one close by?

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh, Babs, this is great, I love it so much that I feel like going to visit you for real! Your house summer decor it's so cozy, I even like the hurricane in the dough bowl! I'd love to do this like you did in that beautiful piece...everything looks wonderful and your book looks like terrific reading! Have a nice weekend. FABBY

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

what a great idea! looks wonderful!

Sarah said...

Babs, love the mix for a low country look. I have a few sweet grass baskets from visits to Charleston. Amazing works of art. I like that black lantern. I may check out the Kohls here. ~ Sarah

for the love of a house said...

hi Babs! love the concept of low country, and it looks great on you! love those fishing floats;) I think they go with just about everything!

love your header photo too!

joan

On Crooked Creek said...

Babs,
How light and refreshing to blend with your traditional furnishings. I adore the coffee table in the lower level area. Not having a coffee table growing up or during our early years, this is one area I'm constantly seeking inspiration in. . .and your table, truly, is inspiring! ( I think we may have the same chair from the glimpse I saw in the corner!) Thank you for sharing this low country living inspiration with all of us! Your visit and sweet comments this past week have been enlightening. Stop by again soon, dear!
Fondly,
Pat

bj said...

This is just stunning. Love that lantern..and the sweet little basket.
xo bj

Jilly said...

The green glass which holds in bottle is looks very awesome. Keeping sea grass at home is very beneficial in astrology eye 's.
sell my car

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

I love the low country look, too, Babs! Everything looks so summery! And that lantern...gorgeous! Happy weekend!...hugs...Debbie

Marlis said...

I am soo loving your country style.. can you come do mine... I do love the floats in the bread bowl. they add a bit of sparkle! thanks for dropping in and leaving your kind comments. many blessings, marlis

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Love your decor, especially your floats and dough bowl. I am one of your newest followers.