Monday, August 15, 2011

Little Fall Changes

Like so many of you, we're still getting temps in the 90s, with little or no rain, but I'm starting to think about Fall.
Here are a few changes I made last week.


There are almost no flowers left in the yard, so I filled my SL pitcher with Autumn Fern, a bit of Sedum Matrona and fried
Oakleaf Hydrangea.


One of my favorite decor books is Scottish Country, with lovely rust colors on the cover photo.


I rarely show the mantel, because it isn't the most handsome mantel in the world. It's '80s style and almost 6 ft. high.  The wall and hearth are brick from wall to wall. 
Lately, I've been saying I'm going to call our carpenter, and see what he can do with it. Actually, I've been saying that for years.  Somehow, I feel it's going to be messy and expensive to change it.
I'll show you that challenge another time. I'd love some suggestions.
Here's just a glimpse of what's on there now. It's usually neglected. The only time it's "decorated" is at Christmas.


When I do put something on it, it's usually light or bright things because of the dark brick.
The champagne bucket, bowl and PB wine cooler are all thrift store finds.

That's about it for the living room, now let's go downstairs to the family room...



...right now, I'm kicking myself because we got rid of so many vintage things at our yard sale last year.
Now, I'm "borrowing from Peter to pay Paul", and moving things around just to fill the shelves. I'm not really unhappy that I got rid of so much, since that gives me an excuse to go shopping.



On the first shelf, I made a wine theme with an old wine box, a bottle from Target and a small pottery bowl.
In the middle, I turned the books back around, since they have a bit of orange/rust on the covers.
I love the simple alabaster book ends which I showed in an earlier post. They have a wonderful patina which, unfortunately, doesn't show well in the photos.



The last shelf has a bundle of old dried plant material that I've had forever. That's only temporary, as it's starting to shed after so many years.



The very bottom shelves hold storage baskets.  The large one, with a lid, holds Christmas books.


This is the right side, which really needs more work.
 The bottom shelves on this side, hold books, dominoes and game boards for checkers and chess. I've thought about putting something else there, but the center section, under the tv, is stuffed with dishes, so there's no place to put the games.


On the top shelf on the right side, a Johnson Brothers  teapot holds the faux hydranges that I used before, and of course, my green birds. I like the way they bring out the little bit of green in the teapot and hydrangea.



I really need to tweak a couple of the shelves, but I wanted you to see what I'd done so far.
I'm still working on changes for the secretary in the living room, but I'll show you them later.

That's all for now. I'll see you at these parties:

Marty@AStrollThruLife for
Kim@SavvySouthernStyle Photobucket

29 comments:

Toni said...

It's beginning to look like fall...well, at least inside. Really love the top right shelf - the birds & teapot are perfect together.

When I went out side at 5:30 am (I am a early bird) I got goose bumps it was so cool - 63 degrees. So refreshing!

Designs on 47th Street said...

Aren't we funny? We couldn't wait for spring and summer and now we can't wait for fall! LOL! We are all the same. Honestly Babs, I think what you have done all looks GREAT! I love that you are using silver on your mantle against the dark brick. I know that can be a tough problem. I am going through dresser drawers today trying to pitch things, but doesn't make for an interesting blog post! :)

Donna

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

LOVE the green birds...and why don't you just paint your fireplace? I swear you will love it. I lived with my old dark brick for over 15 years. We painted it last summer and what a difference. For the price of paint I got a whole new look. It's not hard but it is a little time consuming. I say go for it!

On Crooked Creek said...

Babs,
This is stunning!!! Those green birds really bring out the green in your other accessories! I like the sutle changes and the addition of browns, green, and rust!
Fondly,
Pat

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Babs I love all the little Fall touches you added. The greenery and "fried"LOL hydrangeas look beautiful in the white pitcher! Your mantel looks wonderful with your silver pieces and your bookcases look great too! Martina

Dana Bishop said...

Love all the fall accents. And I am coveting the Johnson Bros. tea pot. I heart brown and white :) Your house is so pretty.

Hugs, Dana

Nayana said...

wow...I m not ready to give up on summer yet:) loved your arrangements in cabinets...

Tablescapes By Diane said...

Hi lovely lady.
I love your arrangements you did in your cabinets, and your flowers on your Table just Beautiful !!!
I hope you and yours have a great week !!!
XXOO Diane

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful Babs! I love how you used the ferns and other greens in the arrangements!

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Loved all the silver accents on your mantle especially the ferns in that silver bucket is looking so gorgeous! I love green paired with silver... it makes everything look so elegant!And those cute birds are looking so adorable next to the teapot!Your bookshelf vignette looks stunning for fall decor. Thanks for sharing this wonderful post with us. Have a great week!~Poppy

http://withadashofcolor.blogspot.com/

Sarah said...

Fun to see your shelf vignettes. Difficult to think about fall here when it's in the 100+++ range. ;-)
Wishing for rain and cooler temps. ~ Sarah

Patti said...

Everything looks lovely. Have you thought about painting your mantle? I know that's a "can't go back" kind of thing, but it's something you could do without spending too much.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

All looks great to me. I am not going to do fall yet until if feels like it here for good. Gosh we need rain. I hate that the yard is brown and will stay this way through winter if we don't get a lot of rain soon.

Sandra said...

Oh yeah! I see lots of green in your decor! My post was about decorating with green. :) I love the little green birds. Very pretty! Thank you for sharing.
Sandra

Unknown said...

I am just adoring the fern as a bouquet. Never thought of it, but it is georgous. I think I may have to try it. Love everything. I'm starting to think about fall also, but haven't done anything yet.

Debbie said...

Maybe this is what I need to do, bring fall out in my decorating to give it a little nudge. It's been such an oppressive summer.

It all looks great. I just love everything about old books.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Wow, I love it all. All of your vignettes and arrangements are gorgoeus. Love the florals. I think bookcases are so hard and yours are fabulous. Great inspiration. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Babs, I love all your fall changes, I've been ready for weeks now, working a few things in here and there. The shop has been transformed, love the feeling it gives off... maybe you can have your mantel refaced with some beautiful trim without alot of fuss and mess. Looking forward to seeing what you do.. hugs ~lynne~

Alycia Nichols said...

Hey there, Babs! I like what you have done so far. It is very "transitional" and doesn't look completely summer or fall. It's hard to achieve that look, but you've done quite well! I know what you mean about getting rid of too much stuff. I went through a period a couple of years ago when I just wanted to sell, sell, sell. Now I want half of it back. I just might go track those folks down! :-) Sorry to hear you're still not getting decent weather. We've been hit a couple of days with pretty steady rain. Temps have fallen into the upper 80s which is a welcome change. Today was beautiful out. Hope this weather finds its way to your doorstep soon!

A Few Pennies said...

I like your changes. My family room entertainment center is almost like yours--love the idea of the books on the top shelf--i'm gonna copy that.

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Looks great Babs!
That's so funny... rob Peter to pay Paul.... nothing wrong with a "reason" to shop though!
Love those two little green birds.
Such sweet little faces!
xx
Alison

Mary said...

Hi Babs~ I love your fern arrangement with your fried Oakleaf :-) I have some that is fried too~ it looks great in your pitcher and on your tray paired with you wrapped books & apple! I adore your sweet green birds sitting next to your teapot!

Carol-Anne said...

Visiting from W.W.W. and I've loved checking out your changes! I think you should paint your fireplace to make it more updated. We did ours in a cream colour (not white) and it's made a HUGE difference to the whole room! Even my husband, who was opposed to it, loved it when it was don!

Savannah Granny said...

Hi Babs, I had to chuckle about the dishes in the cabinet under the tv. Just this morning, I thought I could pack up those books in the entertainment center and put some dishes there. Oh, My.
I love what you have done with the shelves. I think they look great. I love the shelf with the teapot, birdies and hydrangea. I am especially fond of the books with the alabaster bookends. I think it looks great but I know you will be tweaking it several times.
Hugs, Ginger

My Dream Canvas said...

This looks lovely. Hope to see you at My Dream Canvas.Take care Anu

JudyBug said...

I truly hate to get rid of any of my pretties. Surely as I do...I need it for a table arrangement! Love your plates and esp. the green birds.

Marlis said...

I am pushing fall too. especially after the heat we've had this summer. The shelves look fine. I love those green birds and using a piece of transferware really makes it wonderful. great job even if you say it's in progress. xo marlis

Martha said...

What great fall touches -- does make you realize that fall isn't all that far away! It's still too hot on the prairie to think of fall, however!

Meredith said...

Thank you for your sweet comment, Babs! I just love your silver pieces on your mantel. I can't believe those were thrift store finds! The soft browns and greens on your shelves are lovely. I want it to be fall too! I got into my car today after 6pm and it was 103! eek. I'm so ready for cooler temps and some rain!