Saturday, October 20, 2012

Sunday Walk in the Park

I must be living under a rock! This beautiful 890 acre park is only two miles from my house. I never new it was there until a few months ago...and it opened in 2004! Duh!
This past Sunday, Hubby and I decided we'd take the 2.2 mile walk around the lake. I took the camera of course, and here are some of the things we saw on...and off, the paved trail.


First view of the lake. The leaves were just beginning to change color.


First stop...we stood on one of the fishing docks...


...watching the ducks for a few minutes...this one posed nicely...


...while the other was munching on something.


The squirrel was busy stuffing his mouth with acorns.


What do you think lives in this "little house"? Love the wild ferns.


About half way around is a bench where we I stopped to rest and enjoy the view. Hubby is in good shape, but I was huffing and puffing by this time.


~another fishing dock~


The last half of the trail was filled with a surprising variety of plants. I don't know what this is, but the butterflies loved it.


Lots of golden rod on both sides of the trail. I wanted to pick a bunch for a vase, but didn't dare. This whole area is a nature preserve.


~ a tree loaded with ripe persimmons~


Not sure what this is...trumpet vine? 
I'm guessing the blooms were 4 or 5 inches long.


~huge drifts of these little lavender aster-like flowers~


~ in this area, wild clematis grew up through the trees!
 I googled it, and common names for it are "Old Man's Beard" or "Traveler's Joy".


 ~beautiful seed heads~


No, I didn't fall down at the 2.1 mile mark...LOL 
For some reason, Blogger wants to put this pic sideways, even though it's right side up.  
Only 1/10th mile to go. Whew!
Thanks for coming to the park with us. Have a great Sunday.
Hugs,
Babs

Let's join~ 
The Tablescaper for Seasonal Sunday
A Southern Daydreamer~ Outdoor Wednesday





23 comments:

Nancy @ The Headmistress said...

Beautiful pictures; what a nice walk!
Nancy

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I NEVER get to see such beautiful settings! I think So CA is just too crowded..Mall's, etc. It's sad. I miss such scenery. All we see over out back fence is someone's rooftop. :( Lovely photo's. Thank you for sharing them with us!
Mona

Lynn said...

Looks like you had a beautiful walk!

Jojo said...

That park is such a find! Lucky you to be able to have so much nature so close to where you live and today was a perfect day fro being outdoors. Happy fall y'all!

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

You must have missed my post about me walking there everyday this summer. Love it.

The Tablescaper said...

Lucky you to have such a spectacular place so close.

Wonderful to have you be a part of Seasonal Sundays.

- The Tablescaper

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Hi Babs,
I really enjoyed the stroll. I needed to stop for a rest on the bench also. A bit out of shape here also. lol! All of the photos were wonderful. Thanks for sharing!
Hugs,
Jann

Unknown said...

What a beautiful park! I love the teeming nature and beautiful views! :D

hugs,

Ron said...

Babs,

It does not get better than nature and its colors! Beautiful pics. xo

Suzan said...

Such a beautiful walk!! 2 miles is a great way to get the blood going, but not too hot and sweaty!! I've wanted to grow the trumpet vine forever!! I always see them out in the middle of nowhere and the humming birds love them. Hope you'll go for a few more walks!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

The tree and plant colors were beautiful and the wildlife shots were fun, Babs.

Kelly said...

What a beautiful park! I believe this is the one that my sister walks in too. I would love to walk somewhere like that since it's flat and marks the mileage for you not to mention all of that beautiful scenery!

Donna said...

What a beautiful park and a lovely way to spend an afternoon!

Ivy, Phyllis and Me! said...

Good Afternoon Babs, What a beautiful walk and so close to where you live. I loved the tree with opening at the bottom of the trunk. To me it looked like it was missing a wooden door to turn it into a Hobbit Home. Lovely photos, I enjoyed looking around with you. Best Wishes Daphne

Grandma Barb's This and That said...

Thanks for taking us along on you lovely walk. I love the second photo, the seed heads, and the persimmons on the tree. I've never seen them growing before.

Jan said...

So glad I found your blog. Your photos are beautiful - wildlife is fascinating, isn't it? Thanks for sharing your nature walk. -- Jan

Blondie's Journal said...

What a wonderful way to spend a Sunday, Babs! We live around several forest preserves that I've never been to, so don't feel bad. And I am so out of shape I'd be lucky if I made 1 mile!! You did get so many great shots...the lake is beautiful and I love the pics of the duck, butterfly and clematis. Just beautiful!

XO,
Jane

Stacey said...

How pretty. Now that you know it is there you'll have to be a regular. :)

Priscilla said...

Where is this beautiful place?
I'm glad you found it and I hope you will be able to take advantage of the nearness of it, and have lots of wonderful adventures there.

Leslie's Garden said...

Babs, how amazing you didn't know this park was so close! And what a beautiful park it is, too. I love the shot of the dock across the lake, with the swath of green grass behind. Loved the interesting tree trunk too, you can just imagine a fantasy land living in there:)

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Beautiful pictures Babs! I can't get over those persimmons. Such a lovely color. Glad you were able to get out and enjoy the cooler weather. It's pretty chilly here now. I've been wearing a down coat on my walks the past few days. Hope all is well with you!

On Crooked Creek said...

Babs,
Gorgeous photos!!! Nice day for a stroll...enjoy your new found haven!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Anonymous said...

What a lovely walk - I am sure that you will be taking that frequently now that you know all that can be enjoyed there!