Thursday, January 3, 2013

Remember Peel-A-Pound Soup?

It's January 3rd, and I'm starting to feel guilty about all those yummy holiday foods I ate...and ate
So, to get back on track with something "souper" healthy, I decided to make an old favorite recipe called Peel-A-Pound Soup. Do any of y'all remember it?

This recipe has been around for decades, so those of you under the age of 30 probably won't remember it...but if you're under 30 you probably aren't reading my blog anyway. :)
 The story about it is that there are so few calories in it you can eat all you want, and still lose weight.
It's healthy, full of fiber, low fat...probably no fat, since none is added...and delicious. There are lots of recipes for it, but here's how I made it. 

The amounts depend on how much you're making.
 Coarsley chop:

1 small head of cabbage

1 or 2 onions

3 or 4 stalks of celery, including the leaves, if they look nice.

1 bell pepper...this time, I used sweet red, orange and yellow peppers I had left over from another recipe. I really like the color they add.

1 or 2 cans of tomatoes with the juice...size of the can depends on the amount of soup you're making. It doesn't matter whether they're diced or whole. 

2 cartons of organic chicken broth...or one of broth and enough liquid to cover the veggies...the original recipe calls for tomato juice, but I rarely use it since I don't often have it. 

If you don't add tomato juice, just use all broth or add water.
Also, the original recipe calls for bouillon cubes and water, but I prefer the broth...chicken, beef or veggie, whatever I have.

That's it. Just put all the veggies in a big pot, add the broth, or water and/or juice, and season to taste with salt, pepper or seasoned salt. Cook till veggies are tender, and enjoy.

I garnished it with a celery leaf, but you could use fresh parsley, if you have some. 

This is Hubby's place. He's also getting corn bread and butter, since he's not watching his "figure".

Mr. Snowman is here to keep us company for lunch. 

He's such a sweetie. In my next post, he's bringing dessert. 
I've "saved" so many calories with this soup that maybe I could have just a little bite of dessert? 
Ya think?
Hum?

See y'all next time. Hope you enjoy the soup.
Babs

Parties:
Savvy Southern Style ~ Wow Us Wednesdays
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson ~ Share Your Cup Thursdays
No Minimalist Here ~ Open House Party Thursday

15 comments:

Lynn said...

Sounds like a great soup Babs! Love your snowman, mine will be coming out this weekend-Happy 2013:@)

Stacey said...

I've never heard it called that but we do love it too. Of course you should have a little cornbread and butter...and a little dessert too. All in moderation. Don't you think moderation is so much harder after the holidays? We've eaten so much that I'm continuously hungry now.

Sarah said...

Babs, this is just what I need to live on for the next few weeks. ;-) I've had so many sweet during the holidays that I'm actually tired of them. Never thought those words would be spoken by me. ;-)
So I think I'll just make up a pot of Peel-A-Pound Soup for us here at HFTS. Thanks. ~ Sarah
PS
Cute little snowman at your table. He makes me smile.

Kelly said...

Well, I'm well over the age of 30, but I've never heard of that soup before! It looks yummy though. I am such a bread lover that I don't think I would be able to resist some buttered cornbread with it. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I love soup on cold winter days.

Debbie said...

We make that soup around here, but we don't call it Peel a Pound Soup. We call it (something that rhymes with soup) Soup.

Grin.
I love it, and yours looks delicious. I, too, need to recover from Christmas over eating.

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I think soup is a great idea, Babs. I might have to divide the soup into two pots and add meat to my husband's half. He does not need to lose weight and he likes meat in his soup if I call it a meal.

Sylvia said...

I may have to try this, I have a few or more pounds to loose! thanks

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I remember that recipe. Need to make it too. Thanks for the reminder. Hugs, marty

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Okay, I'm way over 30 and I have never heard of that recipe but it looks delicious! I'm all about soup this time of year. Love your little snowman :)

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

That looks good and healthy. I'm way over 30 but don't remember this one!
Your snowman is adorable! He brings a smile to the face!

Kim @ French Country Antiques said...

Yep, I definitely remember this and I've definitely done it. Seems like we've all eaten way too much for the holidays. I really like the little snowmen for a wintery touch!

On Crooked Creek said...

Babs,
Do I remember this soup...I do and I love this soup!!! "Mr. Ed" usually gets a Ham Sandwich with his!!!I just purchased all those ingredients today @ the grocer...so I'm all set to start the New Year!!! Thanks for posting this delicious and healthy comfort food, Babs!!!
Fondly,
Pat

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Yep, sorry to say I do remember this one, but it is so very delicious! With a few tweaks, it would fit into our low-carb plan. Thanks for sharing, Babs!

Carol

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Babs, what a great way to start off the New Year. I use to make a similar soup only we called it Weight Watchers soup. Probably where it originated. Sounds very yummy. I need to whip some up soon. My problem is that I would not be able to resist a piece of cornbread. No good will power here. lol! Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
Hugs,
Jann

Nita H said...

I call it cabbage soup and I have heard you can add hamburger and still lose weight.