Sunday, May 18, 2014

Three Easy Things to Do with a Pasta Serving Bowl...besides serving pasta

Most of the time at our house, there's just the two of us at mealtime. And, I just serve our plates from the stove. 
Unless we have company, my large serving dishes just sit on the shelf, taking up space.

The other day, I was looking at my big pasta serving bowl, and decided to find another use for it...besides serving pasta.

The first one is really simple, and I don't know why I didn't think of it before. duh
Use the pasta bowl on your kitchen island to hold lemons, tomatoes, etc. 

My bowl is just over 13 inches in diameter, and can hold a lot of veggies...if I'd been to the store to get any. :) 
Instead, I used faux lemons and a bunch of spearmint from the garden. 

The second one involves more cuttings from the garden.

Some of the sedum was getting leggy, so I cut it back, but didn't throw the cuttings away like I usually do.

I put a large hurricane in the center of the bowl, and tucked the sedum pieces around it. 
Then, I added a little water to keep them fresh. Ta Da!

There...a casual centerpiece. 
Hmmm...I think we might just eat supper at the table tonight. :)

Last, something to put on the coffee table in the family room...

...you got it...seashells.

I also used a placemat for a little more texture.

  There you have it. 
Three easy-peasy things to do with a big ol' pasta bowl. 

Hugs and have a great week!
xo Babs


Fun Parties to Visit:
    
           Dwellings ~ Amaze Me Monday
      The Dedicated House ~ Make it Pretty Monday        
     Between Naps On The Porch ~ Metamorphosis Monday
Creative Country Mom's Garden ~ Home Sweet Garden ~Tuesday
A Stroll Thru Life ~ Inspire Me Tuesday
Coastal Charm ~ Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Our Home Away From Home ~ Tuesdays at Our Home
StoneGable~ The Scoop
Savvy Southern Style ~ Wow Us Wednesday
A Southern Daydreamer ~ Outdoor Wednesday
Ivy and Elephants ~ What's It Wednesday
The Style Sisters ~ Centerpiece Wednesday
A Delightsome Life ~ Home and Garden Thursday
Between Naps On The Porch ~ Tablescape Thursday
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson ~ Share Your Cup Thursday
Lamberts Lately ~ Create It Thursday
My Turn for Us ~ Freedom Fridays Blog Hop
The Charm of Home ~ Home Sweet Home Friday
The Thrifty Groove and A La Carte ~ Thrifty Things Friday
The Dedicated House ~ Anything Blue Friday
The Jenny Evolution ~ Friday Flash Blog
Rooted in ThymeSimple and Sweet Friday


21 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Babs all the uses are great~! I don't have a pasta bowl since it's just me most of the time! Tiger and I are having pasta for lunch but it's served from the stove! Love the shells and the candle, looks so summery!
hugs,
Linda

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Babs, all three of these are such great ideas. I especially love the sedum tucked around the hurricane! Yes, we need to display our pretty bowls more often. Thanks for sharing these fun ideas with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

Pondside said...

Thank you for the inspiration, Babs. I love all the versions of the bowl, but especially like the one with sedum and the hurricane. Just lovely.

Sarah said...

Wonderful ideas, Babs. Each one gives a great new look for the table or kitchen counter. Thanks for the inspiration!

Sylvia said...

Lovely Babs. Great ideas!

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

What great ideas you've shared with us, Babs. I especially love the hurricane centerpiece one. What a beautiful focal point it makes.
Thank you for your visit to my blog. It is much appreciated. xo

Pat said...

Babs,
GREAT ideas for your pasta bowl, dear friend!!! Of course, I L O V E the hurricane with the sedum wreath at the base!!!
Thanks for your sweet comment and visit today! Was that a vintage white pottery vase I saw on your coffee table???
Great minds, dear one, great minds!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Great ideas, Babs! I've got a big pasta bowl just sitting around. You've inspired me to try to do something interesting with it.

Cranberry Morning said...

Oh, those make such lovely centerpieces! Sure to cheer any table. Thank you for stopping in at Cranberry Morning today and leaving a nice comment. :-)

Alycia Nichols said...

Bravissimo! Three really great ideas! When we "moved to Savannah" 3 years ago, I had a beautiful yellow pasta bowl. That thing was ginormous!!! It's one of the things that got broken, and my heart just sank. There was no fixing it. It was in pieces. I still haven't gotten over that...as you can tell! :-)

Terrific ideas, Babs! Thanks!

Kelly said...

I love all three of those arrangements. A big white bowl is like a blank canvas isn't it?

Helen's Decor said...

Babs, you have great ideas and they all look perfect! Your arrangements are very pretty. Thanks again for the info on the Carrot Cake M&M's. We did finally find them at Wal-Mart just a few miles away on the "Seasonal" isle! They are/were yummy!

Jaybird said...

This is great!!! I don't own a pasta bowl, but I do have an old pottery mixing bowl that would look great!! Thank you for the idea...I will use the candle with boxwood trimmings. Can I put the grape vine trimmings in there too? It is growing up through the boxwood...much to my
dismay :^(
Have a good week and blessings to you,
J

Anonymous said...

All three are great ideas! I found you via Kim's Wow us Wed party. sheila from MyKentuckyLiving

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Love your ideas, Babs! Now it's my turn to say ...Why didn't I think of that! Have a great Memorial Day weekend!...hugs...Debbie

Debbie said...

Good ideas all! I am going to pin these pictures for pinspiration. I happen to have some pasta bowls and others that might as well be.

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

Great ideas, love them all! Thanks so much for sharing at AMAZE ME MONDAY...
Blessings,
Cindy

Nancy said...

I like all three arrangements. It's fun to shop from your house, isn't it? Visiting from Amaze Me Monday.

thepaintedapron.com said...

Very creative! I love the one with the jar candle and the shells~
Jenna

Kathy said...

Beautiful ideas! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Kathleen said...

They all look great! Even though it is usually just two of us, we sit at the table. Hope all is well there! I have been a absent blogger these days!