Thursday, May 21, 2015

Need a Graduation Gift? Make a Money Tree

Hi, everyone. 
Here's a money tree idea to use for graduation, or any occasion when you want to give money, but would like to do something other than just putting money in a card. This would be great for teens.

I took one of these to a high school graduate's party, many years ago, and it was a big hit. 
Before I tell you how I made it, there's a poem (that I wrote) that goes along. :)
You can write it on a card and attach it to the pot, or one of the branches.
Here's the poem:  
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They say money doesn't grow on trees,
but, I know that isn't true.
So, if you find yourself in need...
Just pick a "leaf" or two.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
OK, here's how I made this "demo" tree. 
It has a patriotic theme since it's almost Memorial Day and I was in red, white and blue mode. 

1. Cut a branch the size you'd like, and remove the leaves. I cut a branch from an old azalea bush that needed pruning. I actually used two branches to make the tree fuller. You can also paint the branch if you want it a color.
2. Choose your container. Flower pots work great. If you have a container that isn't so pretty, you can cover it with burlap or wrapping paper. 
3. Put something heavy in the bottom...a rock or gravel. I used a piece of brick.  Then, put a chunk of styrofoam in and wedge it in tightly or hot glue it.
4. Stick the branch in the styrofoam and start decorating.

5. I covered the styrofoam with several coffee filters that I cut in "fringe", and a piece of garland from the DT, to give it a bit more color. 
 You could use any number of things to cover the base, depending on your theme...burlap, artificial moss, faux flowers...the possibilities are endless.

6. Tie the money to the tree branches. 
Ribbon in school colors is always fun for a graduation. 

You could also use jute twine, raffia, or pipe cleaners to attach the money.

I used red and white ribbon, because that's what I had in my stash...

...and cut stars from a DT garland. I attached them with a tiny dab of hot glue on the ribbon. If you add "embellishments", be sure not to glue them to the money, just to the ribbon or branch.
But, if you use larger ribbon, you really don't need to add anything else. 

And that's it! The amount of money and denominations depends on your pocket book. :)
There are so many themes you could use. Garden, beach, rock star, or just plain old "green".
If you make one, I'd LOVE to see how it turned out.
Hope y'all have a great Memorial Day.
xo Babs

Dwellings ~ Amaze Me Monday
 Karen's Upon the Hill ~ Something to Talk About  
Between Naps On The Porch ~ Metamorphosis Monday
The Dedicated House ~ Make It Pretty Monday
A Stroll Thru Life ~ Inspire Me Tuesday
Coastal Charm ~ Show and Share
Our Home Away From Home ~ Tuesdays at Our Home
StoneGable~ The Scoop
Savvy Southern Style ~ Wow Us Wednesday
Ivy and Elephants ~ What's It Wednesday
Share Your Style ~ The Essence of Home
Share Your Style Uptown Acorn
A Delightsome Life ~ Home and Garden Thursday
Between Naps On The Porch ~ Tablescape Thursday
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson ~ Share Your Cup Thursday
Love of Family and Home~ Inspire Me, Please Weekend Blog Hop
My Turn for Us ~ Freedom Fridays Blog Hop
The Charm of Home ~ Home Sweet Home Friday
The Dedicated House ~ Anything Blue Friday
Rooted in ThymeSimple and Sweet Friday




6 comments:

Blue Jeans And Teacups said...

saw you on Mrs. Olson Share your cup Thursday. I have to go to a grad party this summer, and I don't really know the girl very well. Your idea is pretty cool! Thank you!

Kelly said...

I just LOVE this idea! I've never seen it before but know that whoever received it would smile. I read your tutorial carefully and think I could do it. Hmmmmmmm........my neighbor is graduating highschool and invited us to her graduation party. This would be a great gift.

Sarah said...

Cute idea, Babs. We used to make money trees for teachers who were retiring or having a baby. I think it is always appreciated and a fun way to present a gift of money.

Suzy said...

I love this idea, Babs. When my husband and I got married, my in-laws gave us a "bouquet" of money. It took me forever to get it apart, but your idea is so much better.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Very cute! What a fun idea :-)

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Haven't made a money tree in years! Such a fun way to gift money that I had forgotten all about. Who doesn't love a money tree? Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann