Friday, March 25, 2011

Pineapple Sage

It's been really warm here in Georgia, and I've started looking at the garden centers for my old favorites.
One that I've always loved and try to find each year is:                        
                    
                                
                                            Pineapple Sage.

It has the yummiest fragrance and little bright red tubular blooms in late Summer or early Fall and attracts hummingbirds like crazy.

  

I'll keep it in it's little pot for a couple of weeks, and then put it in the ground.  It gets up to 3 ft. high and makes a really nice full plant for the garden.  

If you'd like more information, this site is very informative. Vegetable Gardner gives ways it can be used, but I just put a sprig in a glass of iced tea for garnish and sit on the deck and enjoy the fragrance.


I'm working on a new look for the secretary in the living room. Here is a little hint:

 
Hopefully, I'll have it finished in a day or so.
Y'all have a great weekend.

11 comments:

Sarah said...

Oh, this is a great plant for us here in Texas too. I'm spending much time in the garden these days. We are already having temps in the 90s, so need to get things done. It could be really hot soon. :-(
~ Sarah

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

I love to make the hummingbirds happy! thanks for the tip!

Martha said...

I love pineapple sage and usually a plant or two finds it ways into Linderhof's herb garden.

I'll be back to see whatyou've done to your secretary.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Never heard of that plant. I love plants that attract hummers. Can't wait to see what you are working on for your secretary.

On Crooked Creek said...

Babs,
I had pineapple sage in SE Kansas, but haven't seen any here on the prairie. I'll look for it again this garden season. Thank you for the reminder of attracting the hummingbirds. The few we see here ususally go directly to the herb bed.
Fondly,
Pat
I'll be back later in the week to view your lovely secretary.

Kathleen said...

Beautiful plants! A beach theme in the works?
Enjoy your warm weather!

Anonymous said...

Oh thanks for the plant hint.. bet it would grow well in Carolina..bought some plants today but have to wait for the rain to pass. Can't wait to see your secretary.

Yvonne @ StoneGable said...

What a bright and lovely plant! And thanks for the website!
Is your re-do going to have a beachy theme perhaps?
Yvonne

Betty said...

Babs - I know about Pineapple sage though have never bought one. Your delicious description of using it in ice tea spurs me on to purchase one of those lovely plants this year and enjoy the lovely blossom in MY tea! Thanks for introducing me to this new plant.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Babs! I am not familiar with pineapple sage! Now I am out to find it! Love the idea of the books wrapped in paper and tied with twine...a great way to get a uniform look without tearing off the covers! lol Happy week!...hugs...Debbie
PS...Sorry to be late visitng this post. I have been doing a lot of babysitting!

Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads said...

I planted pineapple sage last year in a large pot and it came back this year, even after our horrible winter weather. I've never put it in tea, but I will now after you recommended it. It truly is a beautiful plant when it is blooming. I saw my first hummingbirds this past week!