Monday, May 7, 2012

New Jersey Road Trip 2012...Part 1

We just got home from our annual trip to NJ, to see Son and his family.This year, we decided to take the scenic route, and drove through the beautiful Shenandoah National Park and Skyline Drive. 


I'm breaking the trip into three posts...don't want to overload you with everything at once. 
Each post will be different...so something for everyone.


Part 1 shows scenic/nature things...




...here's one photo, obviously shot through the bug covered windshield at 70 mph, but you still can see how lovely the drive is...no city traffic or billboards...


I think this spot is just before we ran over that BIG furry animal in the road... not kidding. It was so scary, because with cars on our left and behind us, we had no place to go...we are just thankful we didn't have an accident.




This is near Fancy Gap...love that name.


Next three photos are in NJ...




...this is our son's neighbor's house. See the wreath hanging on the lamp post? 






Can you see her? Not the neighbor...the bird... :)
The wreath had been on the neighbor's front door. The bird had made a nest and laid one egg, and kept freaking out every time anyone went in and out the door...so, they moved the wreath to the lamp post..




...after the wreath was moved, she laid two more eggs.


I just have a few more photos to show you, so hang in there.


Remember the rest area landscaping post I did last year?
Well, we went to NJ a month earlier this year, so there wasn't much in bloom but, I did find a few things to show you...





...bearded iris...



...gorgeous color...






A little court yard at a rest stop in Virginia.




This is in North Carolina...


 


I think these are white rhododendrons...someone correct me if I got that wrong.


All right...rest stop break is over! 
Everybody back in the car. We're on our way to Atlantic City for pizza!


Glad to be back.
Missed y'all.
Babs

13 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Great shots Babs! Hope you had a wonderful trip!

Sarah said...

Babs, these are terrific photos. I love to take a road trip now and then. ;-)

Unknown said...

What a cute trip! I love the pictures and the birdie is SO sweet!

Hugs,

Kelly said...

This is such a fun post for me since I've never been up north. I like the picture of the bird and nest of eggs. So sweet! Love the scenery pics too.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Looks like a fun trip to me! That's cute how the bird used the wreath for a nesting spot! I'm guessing it's a robin. They tend to pick the oddest places (like last year on a ladder).
My son lives in PA near Philadelphia so between Michigan and there I get to go through some mountain regions but not quite as scenic as your Shenandoah Nat'l Park Skyline Dr.
Glad you are back!

Blondie's Journal said...

Beautiful pictures, Babs! It looks like it was a fun trip. I love the shot of the wreath with the bird sitting on it's nest...those eggs are such a pretty shade of blue! :)

XO,
Jane

Alycia Nichols said...

Yikes! That had to have freaked you out when you hit that...whatever it was you hit! I'm glad the rest of the trip was good, though. Your son's homestead has beautiful flowers!!! Fun about the bird's nest in the wreath!!! :-)

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Hi darling, loved riding along the highway with you to your destination. I've never seen a rest stop so beautifully done.. the bearded iris are gorgeous.. hugs ~lynne~

Anonymous said...

Hi Babs,
I enjoyed these photos today :) Like the flower wreath and the Iris's. Have a lovely day!

Eva

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

Flowers are so beautiful no matter which state they are in. Thanks for sharing!

Mr Paul said...

Babs our pictures are great, I'm enjoying the journey immensely.
Now tell me, I know how crafty you are so did you paint those eggs or are they the natural colour!? :)
Paul

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

The Shenandoah Valley is hands down one of my very favorite places on earth....My dream is to have a farmhouse in "the valley"...beautiful area!...

Debbie said...

Wayyyyyy back in the early 70s, we took a family vacation that included Skyline Drive. I had forgotten just how gorgeous it is!

I don't blame mother bird for nesting in that wreath. It's a lovely abode. Funny that they had to move it to the lamp post though.

And the iris are GORGEOUS!