Sunday, June 3, 2012

Not Quite What I'd Planned for the Guest Bedroom

First, let me thank y'all for the great suggestions and comments on what to do with my guest bedroom. 







Inspired by your ideas, I headed to my usual home decor stores to find things that would go with the turquoise floral pillows, and to find some plates to go around the bird picture. 






Oh, here's the "before" shot, in case you missed that post.
BTW, I did take the brown floral pillow out of the yard sale pile. :)






The stores were running over with beach decor! I'd love to go "beachy", but that would mean a big change in the room, which I really don't want to do. 
I was on a mission, and then...I saw this shell...






...on a lamp. It was $29 on clearance! You know what a bargain hunter I am...well, I just had to get it.






Then, I saw these shams...on clearance, just $18 for the pair!..and the colors worked with the lamp. Whoo! Hoo! I was on a roll!..in the wrong direction.
As you see, my shopping plan to find something to go with the turquoise floral pillows, went out the window...or down the coast.






A couple of you mentioned the idea of using bamboo in the room, which I like.  I added the woven bamboo basket from the family room. It'll hold things like tissues or lotion for guests. 
I'd love to get matchstick bamboo blinds for the window, too.






I found this lamp the other day at a consignment shop...half price...just $ 9. 
I haven't decided if I'll leave the base the cream color, or try some ASCP on it. 






The only other change I made was to hot glue some khaki twill tape to the shell lamp shade, to add a softer look.






They're just small changes, but I'm happy with the way the room's progressing.

Hope y'all like the changes so far, and thanks for getting me off my bum and motivating me to do something with the guest bedroom.
Hugs,
Babs


Joining Marty @ A Stroll Thru Life for Table Top Tuesday
Kim@ Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesday
The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursday

23 comments:

Ron said...

I love the direction the room is taking, but you know I am partial to Coastal decor. I absolutely love the shams! You are off to a great start. xo

Anonymous said...

Hi Babs! Isn't it funny how quickly things can turn around? I love your new lamp and those shams are so pretty! :)
You did good.
Be a sweetie,
shelia ;)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Love both of your new lamps and your new pillows too. Fabulous. I think it is looking wonderful. Hugs, Marty

Unknown said...

It looks wonderful! Love the lamps, and the pillow shams are beautiful! Great job!

Ivy and Elephants said...

Great changes happening. The shell and shams are perfect. You're on a roll!
Hugs,
Patti

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Wow, Babs! I need to follow you around when you are shopping! Great finds! Love the new look!...hugs...Debbie

Sarah said...

Babs, I love the new look. The pillow shams are gorgeous! Love the new lamp too. Great finds! I with Debbie. I want to follow along next time you go shopping.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

I really love it! You found some great accents. The lamps are perfect! Love the woven basket with the shell! It seems like I start off in a direction and end up with a twist all the time lately!

Debbie said...

Oh goodness, I love it already! I just discovered the first part that I missed so I'm catching up. You are amazing to me. If I had started last week, I would still be in the hestitant thinking stage. I need to get much better at that.

Great choices!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I love the changes you made to the room!....Absolutely beautiful!...so wam and inviting...

Diane | An Extraordinary Day said...

It's coming together nicely. Such a warm and calming feeling. I was looking at the lamp...you're talking about painting it. I was thinking that you might change the tape out on the shade and add something in one of the light turquoises. But, then I saw you put new tape on the new lamp. So now I don't know. I love how trimming a shade gives just that bit of color and snap in a room. Regardless. You've got the touch, girl!!

Carlene @ Organized Clutter said...

I love it Babs! The new pillows look great with your "R" pillow too. I love the mismatched nightstands. Makes it so much more interesting. Love the drum table!

Unknown said...

I LOVE your changes! What a small thing can do to a room! The lamp is gorgeous! :)

Hugs,

Savannah Granny said...

Babs, I missed the first post. I love the room decor. The lamp is so great and the shams are the perfect touch.
Excellant job there.
Have a great week, Ginger

Cheri said...

Babs, it looks fabulous...very very nice guest room. You at least got yours done...I am still dragging my heels on mine but think I have it slooooowly coming together. The walls are my BIG issue.

On Crooked Creek said...

Babs,
Those shams are gorgeous in the Guest Room...love the direction you're going! Your enthusiasm is inspiring and could become contagious!!! You're on a roll, dear friend...keep going!
Fondly,
Pat

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Sooooo pretty Babs and I love your new shell lamp and bamboo box!

chateau chic said...

Love the changes you've made already. They really make a difference.
Mary Alice

Alycia Nichols said...

You're off and running now!!!! It's looking great! Glad you rescued the pillow! :-)

Cottage and Broome said...

Looks like the bedroom is really coming together nicely! Like the shell lamp looks pretty on your table. Thanks for stopping by, Laura

PAT said...

Beautiful Babs! I love that the finial is also a shell. Wonderful guest room.

Sharon @ mrshinesclass said...

I absolutely love the changes! I think the beach decor lends itself really well to a guest room. The base of the lamp you bought for $9 reminds me of a lighthouse. And all of your new decor really brings out the bird print. I think you did a great job. You have wonderful design instincts!
Sharon @ mrs. hines class

Lina - Fancy Frugal Life said...

I really enjoy your posts! I love the tape on those lamps..so tailored looking. Great idea!
Lina