Monday, August 26, 2013

Changing the Secretary, Again

I thought I'd show you the living room again. I keep changing things on the secretary, taking photos, and then changing things again, before I do a post. 
So, since I'm in "I can't make up my mind mode", I'll just show you all the photos. 

This was the "before".

Coastal frame with one of the Grands when he was a baby.

This chubby little cream pitcher always makes me smile.

A few roses. Hope we get a few more before Fall.

The secretary and chair belonged to my Mom. The chair seat still has the original upholstery, and the pillow was a gift from Mr. UD many years ago. 

It's my favorite pillow and one you'll always see somewhere in my house, no matter what the season.

Here's the secretary today...just a few things changed.

I've replaced the faded roses with two of my glass paperweights and a little square tray.

Another earlier photo of one of the Grands and a green pear from a bag of potpourri. The pear was sort of brownish before I painted it.

This little table is in the darkest corner of the living room. Sometimes, on cloudy days, it almost disappears.  

It was really cloudy the day I changed this table, so I put the egret planter, oyster shell votive and a white coaster.
I've been looking for a small white/off white lamp to brighten the corner. The beige one is a good size, but.... :) 
I'm still in "can't make up my mind mode".  
I hope it goes away soon.

Bye for now. Hope y'all have a great week.
Hugs,
Babs

                                         
                                            ~ Check out these amazing parties ~      

                                         The Tablescaper ~ Seasonal Sunday
                                          Dwellings ~ Amaze Me Monday
      The Dedicated House ~ Make it Pretty Monday        
Rain On A Tin Roof ~ Give Me the Goods Monday
    Between Naps On The Porch ~ Metamorphosis Monday
A Stroll Thru Life ~ Inspire Me Tuesday
Coastal Charm ~ Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Our Home Away From Home ~ Tuesdays at Our Home
Cuisine Kathleen ~ Let's Dish ~ Wednesday
Savvy Southern Style ~ Wow Us Wednesday
A Southern Daydreamer ~ Outdoor Wednesday
Ivy and Elephants ~ What's It Wednesday
StoneGable ~ Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits ~ Thursday
Between Naps On The Porch ~ Tablescape Thursday
The Tablescaper ~ Oh, The Places I've Been~Thursday
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson ~ Share Your Cup Thursday
Lamberts Lately ~ Create It Thursday
My Turn for Us ~ Freedom Fridays Blog Hop
Common Ground ~ Be Inspired Friday
The Charm of Home ~ Home Sweet Home Friday
The Thrifty Groove ~ Thrifty Things Friday
The Dedicated House ~ Anything Blue Friday
Summer Acres ~ The HomeAcre Hop
                                                       The Polohouse ~ Favorites on the First   



20 comments:

Diane said...

Babs - love your secretary and the chair that were your mother's. Both of your arrangements looked wonderful, but what wouldn't look lovely inside that great piece of furniture?? Wonderful idea, about painting the pear and I smiled, too, when I saw your adorable chubby pitcher!!

Ron said...

Don't you just love to rearrange in the secretary? I know I do. It is always fun and theraputic. You did a great job, Babs! xo

Pat said...

Babs,
Your Secretary is gorgeous, dear friend. . .the Before AND . . . the After!!!
I purchased a matching chair to yours while on a Summer Get~Away, but we are waiting for cooler temps to change the upholstery (in the garage)!
I nearly sent a pair of bird statues to the Thrift Shop recently, glad I didn't as they are a perfect accent piece in my Traditional decor!!! Shopping the house is great, but sometimes, like you, my frustration level goes off the charts!!! Guess that comes from being at home full time in our retirement!!!
I especially loved the stack of gold & red books numbered 1 2 3 !!!
Fondly,
Pat

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

The new changes on the secretary look great. What a nice chair and I love the pillow.
I wonder if a white shade on the lamp would do something for you?

Cranberry Morning said...

That secretary is a beautiful piece of furniture. You are lucky to have such a lovely piece and the chair that were your mom's. So much nicer to have furniture that has sentimental value as well as usefulness. Darling pillow! Reminds me of The Velveteen Rabbit. :-)

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Your secretary always looks fabulous Babs and I love that sweet little bunny pillow!

Suzan said...

Everything looks lovely and very personalized! Neat oyster candle holder. At least things stay dusted with you changing things out!!

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Hi, Babs. I just commented on your coastal table (July 29), and I'm back--I have a "thing" about china cabinet and secretary displays. The Grands are darling :), and I, too, love that chubby little creamer! And the woven tray (I can't think what they're called--help!!). I love the first display best...just a nice balance of items and textures for my taste, but both are lovely. I'm glad I stopped by! ~Zuni

Patty Rumaker said...

Your decorations in your secretary look wonderful. It looks like you have some wonderful items to pull together to create such a wonderful spot for yourself.
Thanks, Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

Sarah said...

Babs, I like both versions. Love the mix of things, especially the baskets and shells. You are inspiring me to tweak my living room shelves again. Wishing for a secretary. '-)

Tartan Terrace said...

I like the before and after. It's all so pretty. I especially like the bunny pillow and the tartan book. Everything is lovely and eye-catching.

Mary said...

Love your sweet bunny pillow and seasonal changes in your secretary! I want a closer look at your book with the tartan covered binding! :)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love this secretary, it is fabulous and your vignettes are wonderful. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

camp and cottage living said...

I'm never any good at staging my cabinets. Thank you for the tips,
yours look so stylish.

Ann from On Sutton Place said...

Amazing what just a little switch up can do! Your chubby little pitcher is darling...I am loving anything silver right now. Hope you have more roses too because they are lovely!

Savannah Granny said...

I love both of the secretary arrangements. I especially love the coral. I had a secretary just like yours. My daughter has it now. I did not get it new but at a second had store. Hollie helped me refinish it. When I no longer had a place for it, it went to her. Neither of us ever had it arranged as beautifully as yours.
The lamp on your side table is very pretty, did you ever think about dry brushing it with white? Especially since you like the lamp.
Have a great week, Ginger

Unknown said...

Looks great to me either way! I love the colors on the book covers! They give a hint of Fall!

Judy Biggerstaff said...

Beautiful secretary Babs, don't you love being able to change the secretary even though sometimes decisions are tough. It's a gorgeous piece of furniture in your house.

Ivy and Elephants said...

Love the way you have decorated this beautiful secretary. Any way you style it, it screams fabulous!
Hugs,
Patti

Stacey said...

Timelessly beautiful! Secretaries are so wonderful...one of these days I'll get one.