Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Why I'm Changing My Halloween Foyer

Sometimes, I go for a decorating look that just doesn't work out. That's the way I'm feeling about my Halloween foyer you saw in my last post.
After looking at it for a day or two, for some reason, I wasn't as excited about it as I was when I started. 
Then, when we Skyped our Grands, I showed it to them. We always show each other decorations, pictures they've drawn, etc.
They're ages 2 and 5, and when they saw the little cherub bird feeder in Halloween foyer... 

...they squealed, "It's baby Jesus!" 
I had to laugh, because well...yes...it does sort of look like baby Jesus.  
They've seen our nativity in the foyer at Christmas, and I guess they got confused. 
So, not to confuse the Grands, I'm starting over in the foyer. 
I've taken it all down, but that's as far as I've gotten.

In the mean time, here's what I did with the vase from the $2.92 Goodwill graying decaying flower arrangement.

I made a potpourri, minus the fragrance, until I get cinnamon oil at the store.

It's sitting on a tray in the family room, with a jar of Werther's Caramel Apple candies for treats, and remotes, handy for Downton Abbey reruns. 

I found two more critters on my stoop...a wild eyed black cat...and
there's another critter on my wreath...

...a huge black spider. Do you think I should call animal control? :)
We're supposed to have rain the next couple of days, so,
I imagine I'll have to find a place in the house for the spider and the cat. 

xo Babs
                                                  
                                                   
                                                             ~ Check out these amazing parties ~  

                                                           The Tablescaper ~ Seasonal Sunday
                                                               Dwellings ~ Amaze Me Monday
      The Dedicated House ~ Make it Pretty Monday        
Rain On A Tin Roof ~ Give Me the Goods Monday
    Between Naps On The Porch ~ Metamorphosis Monday
A Stroll Thru Life ~ Inspire Me Tuesday
Coastal Charm ~ Nifty Thrifty Tuesday
Our Home Away From Home ~ Tuesdays at Our Home
Cuisine Kathleen ~ Let's Dish ~ Wednesday
Savvy Southern Style ~ Wow Us Wednesday
A Southern Daydreamer ~ Outdoor Wednesday
Ivy and Elephants ~ What's It Wednesday
The Style Sisters ~ Centerpiece Wednesday
StoneGable ~ Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits ~ Thursday
Between Naps On The Porch ~ Tablescape Thursday
No Minimalist Here ~ Open House Party Thursdays
The Tablescaper ~ Oh, The Places I've Been~Thursday
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson ~ Share Your Cup Thursday
Lamberts Lately ~ Create It Thursday
My Turn for Us ~ Freedom Fridays Blog Hop
Common Ground ~ Be Inspired Friday
The Charm of Home ~ Home Sweet Home Friday
The Thrifty Groove ~ Thrifty Things Friday
The Dedicated House ~ Anything Blue Friday
The Jenny Evolution ~ Friday Flash Blog
                                                       The Polohouse ~ Favorites on the First   

11 comments:

My Garden Diaries said...

How cute that you chat back and forth with your grandchildren and show them your decorations! I love the new touches you have added!!! And the spider on the wreath is perfect!!!

Sarah said...

Too funny! I'm playing with some fall decor this evening. Trying to put some fall touches on the mantel using my velvet pumpkins. Into my 3rd rendition. Will see if I still like it in the morning. I need to get motivated or fall will pass me by this year. ~ Sarah

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

I am laughing out loud, Babs! We never know what the grands will say, do we? Love the arrangement on the tray and your critters! Hugs...Debbie

Ron said...

Good Luck with the new vignette. I cannot wait to see it. xo

Donnamae said...

What a funny story about the grands! That spider should keep all other predators away too! ;)

Kelly said...

Children are so honest aren't they? That's too cute thinking your Halloween display had baby Jesus in it. Somehow, that just doesn't seem to mix well, does it? LOL! That's so nice that y'all share pics of things together. I noticed now you have a BIG critter in your wreath on the front door. Thank goodness it's not real this time! Hasn't this weather been ugly? It seemed so depressing yesterday since we've been so spoiled by all the pretty sunshine we've been having. I finally started wearing long pants and a light jacket now. Haven't done that in so long! If it rains, it is going to cause a lot of leaves to drop off the trees. I don't like rainy Fall days.

An Oasis in the Desert said...

That's too funny about what your "Grands" thought! I think I would be squealing out of fright every time I passed by and saw one of those spiders -- consider I'm easily confused and live in the land of way too many real "creepies!" I really like what you did with that pretty little bowl.

Savannah Granny said...

Love the bowl of potpourri and it will smell heavenly with the cinnamon oil. I missed the first foyer while we were birthdaying around here. I am going back to check it out.
xoGinger

Unknown said...

I change things all the time. I live with something a day or two, then change it! I think it's just part of our personalities. Looking forward to seeing what you end up with. :)

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Oh yes, get the animal control officers over there quickly! Wouldn't want that long legged furry spider to get inside. lol! I got a good chuckle out of the baby Jesus comment from your grands. lol! I can see where they are coming from. Thanks for sharing with SYC. You'll get the foyer just how you want it next time.
hugs,
Jann

Pat said...

Babs,
Love the huge spider and cat on your porch, dear friend!!!
So~o~o glad that your Grands liked the cherub...and yes, I agree, it does remind one of Baby Jesus!!!
Have a marvelous week ahead!
Fondly,
Pat