Sunday, June 1, 2014

Morning Pics and Plants

I'm a morning person, and I love walking around the house with a cup of coffee, and looking out the windows to see what's going on...usually not much in my neighborhood. :)

 I looked out the french doors in the family room...no, nothing exciting out there. The sedum/succulent bed in the walkway is beginning to fill in. 
It's a "let's see what happens" bed made from miscellaneous sedum and succulents I had in pots around the yard.

Hens and chicks and, I forgot the name of the lime green thing.

You can see there is still a good bit to go before the soil is covered. I'm wondering if I should add more succulents, or just let it grow and see how it does.

Looking to the right, in the wooded area by the drive way, is the new Peppermint Caladium I got Friday. 
Love how it brightens the shady area.

Here's a closer look. I just planted it yesterday, and it's still a bit droopy. 

Looking out the living room window, I have one Gardenia bud so far, and the pineapple lilies in the urn have started doing what ever it is they do...bloom?
The little flowers remind me of orchids. 
I've never grown pineapple lilies before, but they seem to love it in the urn. The creeping jenny was in the urn from last year, so I just left it.

Oh, and one other new plant I bought. When I first saw it, I thought it was bamboo, but it's...

 ...Northern Sea Oats. 
I popped it in the middle of the violas, which are starting to fade, but I'll find something to replace them if the sea oats gets leggy. 

Have y'all ever grown Northern Sea Oats? 

Bye for now. Hope y'all have a great week.
xo Babs

Fun Parties to Visit:
    
           Dwellings ~ Amaze Me Monday
      The Dedicated House ~ Make it Pretty Monday        
     Between Naps On The Porch ~ Metamorphosis Monday
Creative Country Mom's Garden ~ Home Sweet Garden ~Tuesday
A Stroll Thru Life ~ Inspire Me Tuesday
Coastal Charm ~ Show and Share
Our Home Away From Home ~ Tuesdays at Our Home
StoneGable~ The Scoop
Savvy Southern Style ~ Wow Us Wednesday
A Southern Daydreamer ~ Outdoor Wednesday
Ivy and Elephants ~ What's It Wednesday
The Style Sisters ~ Centerpiece Wednesday
A Delightsome Life ~ Home and Garden Thursday
Between Naps On The Porch ~ Tablescape Thursday
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson ~ Share Your Cup Thursday
Lamberts Lately ~ Create It Thursday
My Turn for Us ~ Freedom Fridays Blog Hop
The Charm of Home ~ Home Sweet Home Friday
The Dedicated House ~ Anything Blue Friday
The Jenny Evolution ~ Friday Flash Blog

Rooted in ThymeSimple and Sweet Friday







14 comments:

Ron said...

I love the peppermint caladiums. Love. Love.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Pretty shots and I don't know what the green thing is either.

Kelly said...

I don't think I've ever grown northern sea oats. They look good with your violas though. I've also never grown succulents either. You've got quite a few plants that I've never seen before. I used to buy plants all the time when we first moved into our house. Now, everything is filling in so nice that I don't have much room for new plants. We do still need to fill in some spots out back though. And I will always welcome a flowering plant if I can use it!

Ivy and Elephants said...

Love all the beauty going on in your yard. That pineapple lily is gorgeous, I've never heard of that!
Wish I were there for the gardenias, they smell so sweet!
Hugs,
Patti

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

Babs, all of your plants look so pretty! Love the bed with the succulents. I would love to try some in a bed like that. The caladiums are pretty, as well. They are one of my faves.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Your yard looks so pretty, Babs! I love that pineapple! I am envious! My poor yard is still struggling to recover from those cold temps. Have a great week...hugs...Debbie

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Everything looks so pretty Babs!!
Never heard of Northern Sea Oats??

Lady of the Manor said...

Thanks for taking us on your morning walk. Lovely gardens!

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Ahh nice morning walk! I like the sedum bed. I put some in last year and they've come back nicely. That northern sea oats will be fun to watch. Too bad the violas can't take the heat better. They are a favorite flower of mine. Those pineapple lilies are pretty neat- very tropical. I'm doing battle with chipmunks that decided to mine around my new fairy garden and dig up some new plantings. Grr

Alycia Nichols said...

Pineapple lilies! So that's how they look when they bloom!!! I saw some at the nursery the other day, but they didn't look like yours. I guess they'd not yet bloomed. I think I'll try some of those. I'll have to see if they're hardy in Zone 5 or not. We can get some pretty brutal winter weather around here, y'know!

I saw some creeping jenny on Liz's blog recently, and I'm anxious to try that, too. I've never done the sea oats, but I've seen them in the nurseries around here.

I bought a couple of sedum plants this year, but I'm having trouble finding a place for them. The spot I thought they would thrive in doesn't get as much sun as I thought. There are very few places on our property that get a lot of sun thanks to the mature trees front and back. That's great for keeping the A/C bill at bay, but not good for planting fun stuff!

Beautiful view for you!!!

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

Babs,
Your flowers are all soooo pretty!!!! Thank you for sharing them at my Show and Share party. You will be featured at this weeks party:)

Blessings,
Linda

Stacey said...

Your plants all look so pretty. I had Northern Sea Oats in a flower bed at my last house. Never thought of putting them in a pot.

I'm a morning person too. I love it this time of year when the sun is up super early. :) Sleeping late is like missing the best part of the day.

Stacey said...

I had to come back and tell you that my Northern Sea Oats were in the ground and they were a little bit invasive. They were spreading here and there and everywhere. Probably a good idea to have them in a pot.

Bonnie said...

Babs, You have lovely container plants and I love your succulent and sedum bed. I have the same green thing plant and can't remember it's name either.

The pineapple lilies are amazing. Beautiful blooms. I would love to have one of those.