Sunday, August 3, 2014

Builder Basic Oak to Espresso Beans

Hey, Y'all!

I can't believe I finally got off my back side and painted our powder room cabinet.

It's a builder grade cabinet that someone chose in a hurry, when we remodeled the downstairs in 2001.  

The paint I used is Behr Premium Plus Ultra...paint and primer in one.  
The guy at Home Depot said I only needed to sand the cabinet lightly, tack it to remove the sanding dust, and paint. Yay! Love that!

It's a handicapped accessible powder room we added for my mom to use when she visited...

...and still has the brass faucet and shell shaped sink, but somehow, I don't notice that so much now. 

The commode is tucked under the stairs, and a grab bar to the left.
Hubby and I thought about removing the grab bar and changing the door to a standard size, but since both of us have bad backs, we decided to leave the grab bar and wide door...just in case. 

I haven't done much painting in a while...and I'd forgotten how much fun it is crawling around on a tile floor, and squeezing into tight places trying to paint. LOL 

I'm really happy with how it turned out, and I'm rating the ease of my paint project: two glasses of wine...(moderately easy) 



Thanks for stopping by. I really appreciate your inspiration and encouragement.
xo Babs

Fun Parties to Visit:
    
           Dwellings ~ Amaze Me Monday
           
    Between Naps On The Porch ~ Metamorphosis Monday
The Dedicated House ~ Make It Pretty Monday
Creative Country Mom's Garden ~ Home Sweet Garden ~Tuesday
A Stroll Thru Life ~ Inspire Me Tuesday
Coastal Charm ~ Show and Share
Our Home Away From Home ~ Tuesdays at Our Home
StoneGable~ The Scoop
Savvy Southern Style ~ Wow Us Wednesday
A Southern Daydreamer ~ Outdoor Wednesday
Ivy and Elephants ~ What's It Wednesday
The Style Sisters ~ Centerpiece Wednesday
A Delightsome Life ~ Home and Garden Thursday
Between Naps On The Porch ~ Tablescape Thursday
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson ~ Share Your Cup Thursday
Love of Family and Home~ Inspire Me, Please Weekend Blog Hop
My Turn for Us ~ Freedom Fridays Blog Hop
The Charm of Home ~ Home Sweet Home Friday
The Dedicated House ~ Anything Blue Friday
The Jenny Evolution ~ Friday Flash Blog

Rooted in ThymeSimple and Sweet Friday



21 comments:

Pondside said...

I love your scale for rating level of difficulty, and may just adopt it. I've filed away the name of the paint as we start to think of having to renovate/paint/freshen our next house. Thanks!

Pat said...

Babs,
I have one of those similar builder's bathroom cabinets on the lower level, too!!! I'm always painting furniture, but painting that (yellow wood) bathroom cabinet totally slipped my mind. Love this hue!!! Think mine would look good with rubbed bronze fixtures, also!!! Sounds like an Autumnal project for sure!
Thanks for the inspiration, dear friend!!!
Fondly,
Pat

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Isn't paint just a miracle? Your cabinet looks so nice now with just some paint, I love it! I like your project rating system too in regards to glasses of wine. I am I. Fact enjoying a glass or two now.

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Love that Espresso color, Babs! What a lovely way to upgrade builder grade cabinets, looking really nice:)Thanks for sharing the name of the color~hugs, Poppy

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

The darker color totally changes the look of the room. I love the color...expresso beans! As much as we love coffee, we may have to get some of that! Have a beautiful week! Hugs, Diane

Stacey said...

That color is wonderful! It looks so much more sophisticated.

Painting is one of those things...it's a little painful in the process but so worth it in the end. :)

Sarah said...

Looks great, Babs! Wise to leave the handicap accessible pieces in place. If we remain in our current home, someday we will be adding some of the same. Might as well be prepared. '-)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh wow, the cabinet looks amazing. I love how it turned out and sounds like great paint.

Debbie said...

Love how it turned out! I just love your rating system. It makes me giggle. (And frankly, anyone who does a home project in the Georgia summer deserves her very own bonus glass.)

Cranberry Morning said...

I love the change in color! I'm hoping to enlist my daughter's help in painting our kitchen next week. Sometimes we just need a change of scenery. :-)

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Oh it turned out great! What a difference it made. Some days a grab bar sounds like a good thing!

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Looks good Babs! Hey brass/gold are back so no problems there! Any wheelchair accessible room is an investment for the future. Can't really go wrong with that!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Love it painted the darker color Babs...great job!!

Alycia Nichols said...

So NOT an entire bottle, huh? Well, I think I'll just have a whole bottle anyway when I get started on mine! :-) The project turned out GREAT, Babs! You did it!!! I'm encouraged now. I'd be MORE encouraged if you'd just come to mine for me, though! ;-) I'll provide the wine, you do the painting. Sound like a deal? ;-)

You guys are smart to keep the grab bar and wider door. You never know when someone will be in your home (possibly even you!) who will need/appreciate it. When I had my shoulder surgery last year, we had grab bars installed in the master bathroom (we were having the shower area re-tiled at the time anyway, so perfect timing!) knowing that after that surgery would come 2 more and that the grab bars would come in very handy. They're not just for the old and infirm. They came in handy when I was having dizzy spells, too. Nice peace of mind.

TERRIFIC job, and no liver damage. Can't beat that! Congratulations!

Donnamae said...

Looks great! Love your rating system! ;)

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

I am glad you left the grab bar and wider door, they will be good in the FAR distant future;):) The cabinet looks GREAT! Just 2 glasses, sounds good to me!!!

Kelly said...

It looks fantastic! I like how you gave such a cut and dry easy tutorial too. I read how much work some people go to in repainting cabinets and think huh? I've painted cabinets before and never done that much prepping before. Glad yours turned out well. I could use a grab bar when I'm having my arthritis flare up. Good idea to keep it!

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

Wow! You did a great job! We just painted our kitchen cabinets, so I know it's a lot of work. I love the color you chose too. Wonderful job!

Lady of the Manor said...

Beautiful job, Babs! Isn't it amazing how a little paint (and two glasses of wine) can make some things look better??!! LOL I painted our bath vanities two years ago (ours and the kids). They look so much better, too! Have a great day!

Linda said...

Here I was thinking my son needed a new half bath sink cabinet in his tired little downstairs bath. He is still renovating his downtown row house. Paint, duh! Will pass this on to him and his soon to be bride. Thanks for sharing at Kim's WUW.

Linda said...

Here I was thinking my son needed a new half bath sink cabinet in his tired little downstairs bath. He is still renovating his downtown row house. Paint, duh! Will pass this on to him and his soon to be bride. Thanks for sharing at Kim's WUW.