Thursday, July 31, 2014

Random Things Thursday

Here's what's been happening at our house this week.
I tried a new way to kill weeds~


Boiling water~


Works great, and I got my exercise from running up and down the steps boiling water to pour on the other weeds.


What do you do with all those chop sticks that come with Chinese takeout?  
Use them for paint stirrers! 
They are perfect for mixing paint samples, or small containers of craft paint. 
Don't know why I didn't think of them before, instead of using the handle of my paint brush.


I've been trying to identify this plant that appeared by the stepping stones in the side yard. 
I really like it, and would love for it to fill in around the stepping stones. 
Any ideas what it is?


I bought another glass bowl~ 


I bought some paint~


Color...Espresso Beans~
Here's what I'm going to paint~


Builder basic cabinet in the powder room. 
I've put this off for a lot longer than I care to admit.  
If all goes well, I'll have it finished this weekend.

On another note, I was just watching Jacques Pepin on tv, and he was asked what cooking tips he would give ~ 


He said the first thing you should do when you go in the kitchen is have a glass of wine!  
Hey, works for me. :)

Check back next post, to see how my paint project turns out.
Do you think a glass of wine would make me a better painter?

xo Babs


Fun Parties to Visit:
    
           Dwellings ~ Amaze Me Monday
           
    Between Naps On The Porch ~ Metamorphosis Monday
The Dedicated House ~ Make It Pretty Monday
Creative Country Mom's Garden ~ Home Sweet Garden ~Tuesday
A Stroll Thru Life ~ Inspire Me Tuesday
Coastal Charm ~ Show and Share
Our Home Away From Home ~ Tuesdays at Our Home
StoneGable~ The Scoop
Savvy Southern Style ~ Wow Us Wednesday
A Southern Daydreamer ~ Outdoor Wednesday
Ivy and Elephants ~ What's It Wednesday
The Style Sisters ~ Centerpiece Wednesday
A Delightsome Life ~ Home and Garden Thursday
Between Naps On The Porch ~ Tablescape Thursday
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson ~ Share Your Cup Thursday
Love of Family and Home~ Inspire Me, Please Weekend Blog Hop
My Turn for Us ~ Freedom Fridays Blog Hop
The Charm of Home ~ Home Sweet Home Friday
The Dedicated House ~ Anything Blue Friday
The Jenny Evolution ~ Friday Flash Blog
Rooted in ThymeSimple and Sweet Friday




14 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I bet that cabinet will look great painted. Wine sounds good to me, too. I am going to try the boiling water on some weeds on my sidewalk and driveway.

Blondie's Journal said...

Yep...I've heard of the boiling water thing and I may try it...right outside my kitchen, I'm lazy!!

The weeds look like violet weeds which are really a pain in the butt. Try the boiling water or just pull them.

The cabinet is going to look awesome...go for it! And Jacques Pepin, one of my favorite chefs. He always toasted at the end of his show but I believe we should all cook with wine. And as Julia Child said, sometimes put it in the food!!

Jane xx

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Hmmm...boiling water-I can believe it! Dan goes around with a torch and burns the weeds. I bet the newly painted cabinet will look great! The wine may help you get inspired to paint or sit and think about it!

Cranberry Morning said...

Ha! fun post. Sorry I can't help you out on the plant identification. Buying new paint is always fun, isn't it!

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Can't wait to see that cabinet painted...I know it's going to look great!! Wine always sounds good to me lol!!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Babs, a glass of wine makes everything better! I bet the cabinet will look great!
hugs,
Linda

Debbie said...

LOL about the wine! I don't know if if would make you a better painter, but I'm pretty near positive that if you serve it, the rest of us will not notice the first paint imperfection.

I do love the sound of the color so will enjoy seeing the finished product. I have a vanity painting project in the "to do" pile. Right now, that pile is so piled that I don't know when I'll get to it.

Debbie said...

Oh! And forgot to say thanks for the weed tip. I need to try that. I'm frankly sick of my husband and his round up. It doesn't work like he claims it does. I would rather just boil some water and try that.

Balista said...

very funny post. i enjoyed a lot.
Led Lures

Sarah said...

You paint choice is going to look great on the cabinet.
Happy Weekend to you……….S

Kelly said...

Good luck with your painting project. I bet it will look good when you're done with it.

Alycia Nichols said...

You're just FULL of information!!! I am going to try the boiling water thing tomorrow when I get outside. I have a mound on the far end of the back yard that has a few weeds going on, and I don't want to use chemicals since I'm going to be planting back there soon. I'll just try dumping a big ol' bucket of boiled water on there and see what happens. Hope what happens isn't a trip to the ER!!! :-)

I'm going to pin that idea about the chopsticks!!! We have tons of them, and although we use them to eat, we'll never catch up with the stash. Great idea!

I think you will need to have an entire bottle of wine before you get started painting. I know I would! I HATE painting!!! But sometimes it just has to be done, so forget the glass and just tip the bottle! :-) Be sure to show us how the cabinet turns out. I am going to be painting the cabinets in our master bathroom soon (ugh!) and would like to know all the ups and downs of it from someone who I know will tell it like it is!

Great post, Babs!!!

The Charm of Home said...

What a brilliant idea to pour boiling water on weeds. It makes perfect sense. Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home.
Sherry

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Can't wait to see the cabinet painted. I have done the boiling water weed method, but not for a long time. The plant looks similar to creeping speedwell, but not positive. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann