Monday, September 22, 2014

Orange Sweet Olive and Dusty Miller

One of the nicest surprises of Fall is when our Sweet Olive Tree blooms.
It's a huge evergreen on the side yard, and we don't normally notice it. 
But, each September, it fills the whole yard with its wonderful fragrance.


I cut some branches for the entry, and even though they make a mess, the fragrance makes it worth the clean up.


Some Sweet Olive flowers are white, but these are golden orange.


Over the weekend, I cut some large Dusty Miller branches to fill an antique basket. I thought they might dry in the basket. 
I've dried smaller pieces right side up before, and they did well, but these weren't...

...after a day and a half...they were flopping...


...so, I strung a piece of twine on the fireplace mantel, and tied them to it.


I added a pine cone, to cover the wire where I tied the stems.
I could have tried to dry them in the shed, but the weather is still hot and muggy, so I'm hoping this will work better.  I still have lots more to dry. 
Eventually, I hope to make a Dusty Miller wreath.
If any of you have suggestions for drying or making wreaths, I'd love to hear from you.

Next post, I'll show you a few more Fall things in the living room.
Here's a peek...

At least I didn't have to dry the pine cones and sweet gum balls.

xo Babs


  Dwellings ~ Amaze Me Monday           
    Between Naps On The Porch ~ Metamorphosis Monday
The Dedicated House ~ Make It Pretty Monday
Creative Country Mom's Garden ~ Home Sweet Garden ~Tuesday
A Stroll Thru Life ~ Inspire Me Tuesday
Coastal Charm ~ Show and Share
Our Home Away From Home ~ Tuesdays at Our Home
StoneGable~ The Scoop
Savvy Southern Style ~ Wow Us Wednesday
A Southern Daydreamer ~ Outdoor Wednesday
Ivy and Elephants ~ What's It Wednesday
A Delightsome Life ~ Home and Garden Thursday
Between Naps On The Porch ~ Tablescape Thursday
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson ~ Share Your Cup Thursday
Love of Family and Home~ Inspire Me, Please Weekend Blog Hop
My Turn for Us ~ Freedom Fridays Blog Hop
The Charm of Home ~ Home Sweet Home Friday
The Dedicated House ~ Anything Blue Friday
Rooted in ThymeSimple and Sweet Friday

18 comments:

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Love all the natural elements you used Babs...everything looks so pretty!!

Denise said...

I have a gardening book written by a local author, and he talks about how good Sweet Olive Shrubs smell. Yours look very pretty, in addition to the nice fragrance. :) Your mantel looks so pretty all decked out for fall, and I love your idea for decoratively drying the Dusty Miller. I have got to get busy putting out my fall decor; I'm running behind. :)

Thanks for sharing, Babs; have a great week!

Big Hugs,

Denise at Forest Manor

Alison @ The Polohouse said...

Beautiful! Didn't know you could dry dusty miller. Great idea!
xoxox
a

Donna said...

I love sweet olives, too. While staying at a B&B in Natchez, MS, we kept smelling something "citrusy"and couldn't figure out what it was. That was the first I'd heard of a sweet olive tree.

Kelly said...

I love how you brought things in from your yard for your Fall décor! It all looks so pretty. Love the idea of making a dusty miller wreath too. I bet that would be pretty.

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

That sounds so yummy- sweet olives! Love the color of the flower. I haven't tried drying dusty miller which is a shame since I threw a whole bunch of them out because they had taken over one of my planters! I like the way you strung them above the fireplace. We cooled off a bunch and are just drying out after all the rain we got. I have hydrangeas drying now.

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

The Olive branchs look beautiful. The dusty miller made a great banner for your fireplace. I am not sure if I knew you could dry it?

Stacey said...

What great ideas! I never would have thought of stringing the dusty miller that way. Neat!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

What a gorgeous plant and flower the sweet olive is....and I love your idea about hanging the branches of the Dusty Miller...beautiful and great idea Babs!

Pat said...

Babs,
Love the use of natural elements in your home decor, dear friend!!! The orange blossoms are gorgeous!!!
I'm anxious to see how the dried Dusty Miller wreath turns out!!! See you, soon!!!
Happy Autumn!
Fondly,
Pat

Marigene said...

I learned today that you can dry dusty miller, had no idea one could! The sweet orange olive is really pretty. I can almost smell the peachy scent from here...
Have a wonderful week, Babs.

Lady of the Manor said...

I don't think I've ever seen those sweet orange olive before. They are gorgeous!! Your idea for the Dusty Miller wreath sounds intriguing. Can't wait to see how it turns out. Have a great week, Babs!!

Debbie said...

My sister has a sweet olive tree, and you are so right about the fragrance.
I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the dusty miller drying as a garland. I think the pine cones look just perfect with them. Until your post a while back, I didn't know you could dry dusty miller. I am most definitely going to plant some next year so I can dry it.

Kathleen said...

I don't think we have sweet olive in NY, it is lovely! It looks so pretty with the Dusty Miller. I made a wreath with it years ago and have used it in tablescape centerpieces. I don't have any sage advice though, it dries the way it dries, lol!

Alycia Nichols said...

OK, Babs...you're gonna have to help your ol' buddy out and let me know how to do that wreath. I might just have enough Dusty Miller to make one. I didn't know you can dry it! That's amazing to me! I like to use it in fall arrangements because it will otherwise just die with the first frost, but I didn't know you could actually dry it!!! Does it look the same pretty much once it's dried or does it take on a different color? This really interests me! I just looked out at mine a couple of weeks ago and lamented how it would go to waste when still so pretty. I like what you did over the fireplace with it. Very clever to couple it with the pine cone to cover your mechanics. It just needs to dry upside-down in a cool, dry place?

Brandi said...

I love all of your pretty flowers. I bet your home smells amazing.

Sarah said...

Babs, I've never tried to dry dusty miller. I bet it will make a beautiful wreath. Happy Autumn!

di said...

When you get around to making your wreath. Try drying some fresh dusty miller in a round laundry basket. Just place it,[good way to put some of those tall sturdy stems to good use] in laundry basket. Dont pack it to tight so it can get air flow, you dont want to crush the pretty leaves.After its dried take it out of the basket to craft with it already has been dried in a round , or curved shape. Enjoyed your photos !