Tuesday, November 18, 2014

A Little Decorating and Fruit Cake

Brrr...it feels like winter, and I'm working on indoor projects.

I've tied greenery to the candle holders with jute twine, and wrapped the flameless candles...

...with Christmas sheet music. 
I copied it from the internet, and used double stick tape to secure it.  Easy peasy!

The upstairs hall way is always a tight spot to decorate, because the guest room door is on the left of the table, and the linen closet on the right.
Keeping things to a minimum, I hung the dried Dusty Miller wreath on the wall...

...and a wine cooler filled with antlers and greenery on the tiny table. 

I bought an Amaryllis bulb, on Sunday, and "planted it" in a glass canister...

...can't wait to see it bloom.

Oh,...and fruitcake!

This gorgeous fruitcake is from Costco...without the pinecones. I put those there to hide where I cut a big ol' hunk. 
I'm picky about fruit cake, and this one is de-licious...lots of fruit and nuts.

What do you think about fruit cake? Do you love it, or hate it? 

xo Babs

  Dwellings ~ Amaze Me Monday
Between Naps On The Porch ~ Metamorphosis Monday
The Dedicated House ~ Make It Pretty Monday
Creative Country Mom's Garden ~ Home Sweet Garden ~Tuesday
A Stroll Thru Life ~ Inspire Me Tuesday
Coastal Charm ~ Show and Share
Our Home Away From Home ~ Tuesdays at Our Home
StoneGable~ The Scoop
Savvy Southern Style ~ Wow Us Wednesday
A Southern Daydreamer ~ Outdoor Wednesday
Ivy and Elephants ~ What's It Wednesday
A Delightsome Life ~ Home and Garden Thursday
Between Naps On The Porch ~ Tablescape Thursday
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson ~ Share Your Cup Thursday
Love of Family and Home~ Inspire Me, Please Weekend Blog Hop
My Turn for Us ~ Freedom Fridays Blog Hop
The Charm of Home ~ Home Sweet Home Friday
The Dedicated House ~ Anything Blue Friday
Rooted in ThymeSimple and Sweet Friday


17 comments:

Cranberry Morning said...

I love the music-wrapped candle! So beautiful, such a great idea. And yes, I'm one of those who loves fruitcake, as long as it is FULL of fruit and nuts, including dates and figs, with wine or brandy included, but not that bitter stuff (can't remember what it's called, maybe citron? I don't like that).

Jaybird said...

I LOVE fruitcake!!! Fortunately for me we have Collin Street Bakery near our house. They make wonderful fruit cakes :^)
Of course, as a church music minister, I am in LOVE with your candles. May I borrow your idea?? We can use them on our Christmas altar.
Blessings to you,
J

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Babs that candle wrapped with the music sheet and greens looks so pretty!!

Kelly said...

Your candle is beautiful the way you decorated it! I also love the other items you put together for the season. I love a mix of greenery, antlers and pine cones. I haven't planted any bulbs indoors yet, but I may. I'm still trying to decide if I want to. I love how they look until they start getting so tall and gangly. I'm not a fan of fruit cake, but I'll have to admit that I have only tried it a few times. It seemed hard and dry. Yours is probably much better!

Blondie's Journal said...

I just love how you take something ordinary and jazz it up! I want to do a candle like yours...double sided tape, genius!!

Hmmm...fruit cake. Only had it once, my neighbor made it. Not really sure if it's something I would eat unless I was obligated! Ha!

Jane xx

Marigene said...

Oh, that wine chiller filled with greens and horns looks so at home on that cute little demilune table...very festive.
I like a fruit cake that I make...it only has nuts, candied cherries and candied pineapple...yummy!
Have a wonderful week.

Lady of the Manor said...

Lovely changes! Great idea using sheet music on your candle. I'm going to try forcing some bulbs this winter, too. I'm going to try paperwhites. Not a big fruit cake fan but yours does look yummy. Stay warm!!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I have some flameless candles and that is a great way to make them festive. Love that wreath. I like a fruitcake with lots of nuts and that one looks so good. I'm ready to do some Christmas decorating but I'm waiting until after Thanksgiving I think!
hugs,
Linda

Pat said...

Babs,
Love the Sheet Music decorated candles, dear friend!!! The vignette on the upstairs table is stunning, but I am so~o~o smitten with your Dusty Miller Wreath!!! I've bookmarked this decor idea for next Spring's gardening and Autumn's harvest. Wish me luck!
The Holidays will be breathtakingly beautiful at Upstairs Downstairs. . .and all around your lovely home.
I've never tried Fruitcake. . .
Fondly,
Pat

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I got my candles out today that I made similar to yours. They look so pretty when they are lit, too. I can't eat sugar any more but I always LOVED fruitcake. We drive right through Claxton, GA when we travel and we've stopped a few times. That bakery smells amazing! Hugs!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I love a "great" fruitcake...will have to check into the Costco one...I love all of your beautiful holiday projects...and must say that I love amaryllis. I had one years ago during Christmas and when it stopped blooming I tucked it away in the back of my potting bench...I neglected it and discovered it was blooming...love those kind of flowers that you can neglect!!!

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

I've never had a problem with fruitcake. I pretty much like all kinds, but my husband has a recipe that is particularly good, and that I will be sharing on my blog. It's a white fruitcake (as opposed to the darker, molasses laden cakes) and everyone who tries it, likes it. Lovely post, and thanks for the reminder about the amaryllis bulb. I need to shop NOW.

Tea in the Library said...

Love fruitcake and stollen! Love the simplicity and elegance of your decorations. Happy SYC Thursday!

Alycia Nichols said...

You KNOW I just pinned that candle idea! Girl, that is really pretty!!!!!!! Score!

I still have all of my Dusty Miller in the garage. I'm afraid of trying to work with it. I'm afraid it will die before I actually work up the nerve to attempt a wreath. :-( Yours looks SO good!!!

I like certain fruitcakes. I don't like the green or yellow fruits on there. As long as there are plenty of nuts and not too much liquor in it (I can't believe I'm saying that last part!), I enjoy fruitcake!

Stacey said...

I really like what you've done so far. The little spot in the hall is so pretty with the silver and antlers.

You remind me that I need to get another amaryllis bulb. They grow in the yard here. We have my husband's granny's amaryllis growing in our flower bed. That's pretty special to us.

I love what you did with the candles. So pretty!

Honestly, I haven't had fruit cake since I was a kid.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Love the addition of the music Babs! I bought the same Amaryllis. Planted it and some Paperwhites yesterday. My mom use to make the most delicious white fruit cake. I haven't made it in years, but would like to this year. I haven't had a slice of any fruitcake in years, but I do like it. I will be trying this. Going to Costco on Tues. with my sis. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I mentioned you on my blog this morning! Happy Thanksgiving my friend! Sweet hugs, Diane