Thursday, November 13, 2014

Our New Floating Mantel

You'll probably remember...or maybe not...sometime ago, I was whining about our 1980s living room mantel, and trying to decide how to change it. 
I originally wanted a traditional style mantel with book cases on either side. But, the design I finally decided on was something we could build ourselves. Here's how it turned out.





Here's the before, taken last year...
The old mantel was very high..almost six feet at the top. We took off the big hunk of wood (old mantel), and used the support studs to attach the new mantel. You can see the supports sticking out under the old mantel. 


Taking off the big hunk of wood actually lowered the mantel about four inches...not a lot...but now, I can put things on top without having to drag out the step stool. 


Here's a close up of the trim that we used. 
Hubby built the mantel, and I supervised. Our carpentry and design skills are basic, at best, but we had fun.

I'm happy with how it gives a new and brighter look to the dark brick wall.
Now, if I could only figure out how to make a surround, without running the risk of knocking down the whole brick wall...hmmm. 

Speaking of bright...here's a pic I took this morning of the Natchez crepe myrtle in our front yard.

This is the prettiest its ever been...but, the leaves will probably be gone in a couple of days.
 It's 42 degrees right now, and supposed to get below freezing tonight. 
Brrr! 

Hugs and stay warm,
Babs


  Dwellings ~ Amaze Me Monday
Between Naps On The Porch ~ Metamorphosis Monday
The Dedicated House ~ Make It Pretty Monday
Creative Country Mom's Garden ~ Home Sweet Garden ~Tuesday
A Stroll Thru Life ~ Inspire Me Tuesday
Coastal Charm ~ Show and Share
Our Home Away From Home ~ Tuesdays at Our Home
StoneGable~ The Scoop
Savvy Southern Style ~ Wow Us Wednesday
A Southern Daydreamer ~ Outdoor Wednesday
Ivy and Elephants ~ What's It Wednesday
A Delightsome Life ~ Home and Garden Thursday
Between Naps On The Porch ~ Tablescape Thursday
Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson ~ Share Your Cup Thursday
Love of Family and Home~ Inspire Me, Please Weekend Blog Hop
My Turn for Us ~ Freedom Fridays Blog Hop
The Charm of Home ~ Home Sweet Home Friday
The Dedicated House ~ Anything Blue Friday
Rooted in ThymeSimple and Sweet Friday

11 comments:

Lady of the Manor said...

Your new mantel is gorgeous! I'm really impressed you all made it yourselves. Great job! It looks perfect there. Your crepe myrtle is to pretty, too. Have a cozy weekend sitting by your lovely fireplace!

Liz@ HomeandGardeningWithLiz said...

Im impressed Babs! Great job and a nice new look :-) The crepe myrtle is striking! We can't grow them up here....too cold for them! Stay warm during this cold snap. The sun is bright and shining today and it's white everywhere. It's quite pretty even though a bit early!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love the new mantel. I have a shelf I want to hang on the wall as a faux mantel!

Stacey said...

That was a great idea! It's so much fun to do projects like that together. :)

Sarah said...

Looks great Babs. Your living room looks cozy and inviting.

Ron said...

Love the new mantle, Babs! And that crepe myrtle is stunning. xo

Blondie's Journal said...

I love this, Babs, although the other mantel wasn't too shabby! Change is good and I think you have the perfect look now.

Wow, that tree is gorgeous!

Jane x

Denise said...

Your mantel re-do looks great, Babs! I really want to re-do ours, too, and I want to frame out the sides. If we can't do it ourselves, though, I'm afraid it will be too expensive. We keep hoping we'll win the lottery -- haha. :-D

Enjoy your weekend!

Hugs,

Denise at Forest Manor

Alycia Nichols said...

I DO remember when you were....well, I don't want to call it "whining", but maybe the term is "expressing extreme displeasure" with your old mantel! I remember our discussion very well about the problems you encountered in trying to decorate it. I am glad you were able to replace it and get it down lower. If you had to stand on a step stool to decorate it, it was too high!!!

For a surround, I think I've seen the "half columns" at places like Lowe's and Home Depot. Plain wood with moulding attached would look cool, too.

I think you and I have the same fireplace screen. My Mom just gave me hers, and it looks VERY similar to yours!

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Love the new mantle Babs! Your tree is gorgeous and it's been cold here lately as well. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

The Charm of Home said...

Looks great Babs! Thanks for sharing!